wildflowers

The suns morning light peaked through my curtains around my bed

The suns morning light peaked through my curtains around my bed. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and then remembered what the day was. It was the day Wes and I planned to spend together.

I changed out of my pajamas, put on my favorite jumper and slipped into a pair of jeans. After brushing my teeth and hair, I laced up my trainers before quietly slipping through the door.

"Hi," I said to Wes as I met him just outside the portrait hole. The two of us slowly made our way to the great hall. Upon getting there, we found it still fairly empty. Professor McGonagall sat at the head table with her nose in her paper. Madam Sinistra also sat further down the table, sipping on a cup of coffee while going over what must have been charts.

A few older students were scattered between each of the four tables, which stretched the length of the hall. Some hungrily stuffed themselves before rushing off to the library, while some laid back, enjoying the quiet of the morning.

I scooped some porridge into a bowl, topped it with berries and poured milk over top. Wes piled up his plate with eggs, sausage, beans and toast. He spread his bread with butter, and a generous amount of jam.

"He is so full of himself it's a wonder he has acknowledged any of us at all." Wes said, speaking about his new, temporary, dorm-mate visiting from Durmstrag. "He is quite dumb too, when it comes to basic magic. But he does know his curses well."

"He hasn't cursed any of you, has he?" I asked.

"No, but I wouldn't put it past him. Speaking of curses, how about that first lesson with Mad-Eye? I've read about the unforgivable curses before, but actually seeing them used, seeing what they actually do; it's different than I'd imagined." Wes said.

"I didn't know about them so I never gave it any thought," I said, "I heard Professor McGonagall was mortified to hear he even showed the first years, let alone us. She was furious about it."

A sudden crack filled the hall and a burst of color rained down from up above before disappearing in the air. The hall had begun to fill with students, two being Fred and George.

"Don't you do that again!" Professor McGonagall shouted. Shooting up from her seat she dropped her paper and crossed the hall, meeting the twins before they had any chance of running off.

The grey cloud covered skies in April brought a chill to Hogwarts. Wes and I took the long way toward the greenhouses for Herbology, admiring the wildflowers Spring had brought. We entered greenhouse three and settled along the table.

"Today you will be planting jumping toadstool seeds," Professor Sprout said. "I want everyone to grab a pot and fill it with soil."

Everyone did as Professor Sprout directed. A bucket filled with jumping toadstool seeds had been passed around. I took a small handful and spread them around the surface of my soil. I gave it some water before setting it on the floor beneath the table where, as Professor Sprout had said, it would get the indirect light it'd need.