curses and spells

My first class of the day is Defense Against the Dark Arts and I am running behind for I misplaced my book, The Dark Forces: A guide to self protection

My first class of the day is Defense Against the Dark Arts and I am running behind for I misplaced my book, The Dark Forces: A guide to self protection. I enter the classroom behind everyone else and take a seat at the back of the room. Things felt so different from how they were last term. No Professor stood at the front of the class to greet us so everyone talked until we heard the steps of someone approaching. Through the classroom door entered Professor Moody, hobbling to the front of the class. His one eye sped around looking in every direction and at every student. Everyone wondered what happened to his eye but were all to scared to ask.

"Go ahead and put those away," Professor Moody barked. "You won't need them." Everyone listened right away and tucked their books back into their bags. "Now Professor Lupin was professional enough to leave me a list of all you learned last year. Impressive the dark creatures you covered but you are behind in your dark curses." The man scanned the room, his eyes landing on Harry for a moment before he looked away.

"I've got one year to teach you how to defend yourselves."

"Excuse me? How do you know that- " Hermione started to ask a question before being cut off.

"In this jar are three spiders," Professor Moody grabbed the jar from his desk and placed it on Ron and Harry's. Ron, having an immense fear of spiders pushed his chair back to get as far away from them as possible while still staying in his seat. "Curses. They will be the topic of today's subject. The ministry wouldn't want you learning about this just yet but they are bloody wrong for wanting to keep it from you. We are at war and you need to be able to protect yourselves!" Moody raised his voice, getting a little carried away. "Now who can give me a curse that can give you a one way ticket to Azkaban?"

While some people shuddered at the mention of Azkaban, Ron's hand shot up after he got his nerves back. "My dad told me one. Erm, it's called the Imperius Curse."

"You're Arthur Weasley's boy aren't you?"

Ron nodded.

"It's no surprise your father would know that one. At one time it gave the Ministry a lot of trouble." Moody walked over the the jar of spiders and loosened the lid and taking one of the spiders out he took it off his hand and set it on the table. "Imperio." Moody aimed his wand at the spider and cast the curse before it could run off. The spider began moving along the table in some sort of dance making the class roar with laughter.

"Funny isn't it? But how would you like if I did it to one of you?" Everyone fell silent at the Professor's comment. "The Imperius Curse gives you complete control over the cursed. I can drown the spider if I'd be so inclined or make it crawl into one of your ears."

Several girls screamed and covered their ears in fear that Moody would actually have the spider do that. Moody made the spider float in the air and drop back into the jar. "Now someone give me another!"

Several hands flew into the air, one to my surprise being Neville Longbottom's. Avery looked at him in shock for he never would raise his hand except for in Herbology, the only class he was good at.