confessions

In a blink November came and went

In a blink November came and went. Christmas break had begun. Hogwarts is adorned with wreaths, baubles and every bright light you could imagine. In the form of candles and twinkling lights the great hall, corridors and common rooms which were lit up in the spirit of the season.

Few students had returned home while many stayed behind. One week has passed since the beginning of break and most everyone is taking advantage of the freedom from all responsibility.

Katie and I had spent the first two afternoons flying freely on castle grounds. Once we had covered near entirety of it, we snuck off into the forbidden forest. There we would race among the trees, weaving in and out until we felt so tired we thought we might faint.

"You are a natural on the broom!" Katie complimented my flying. I didn't know how to respond. "I mean it. I haven't seen anyone pick it up so fast."

"Thanks." I said, covering my cheeks as I felt myself blushing from embarrassment.

Everywhere you went you'd hear the giggles and chatter of girls talking about who asked them to the ball, who they said yes to and to who they said no.

Whispers could be heard and points could be seen from the boys. They stood wondering who was taken and when they couldn't figure it out they'd play a game of gobstones to decide who'd be the one sent to ask. Even if a girl hadn't a date yet they would reject the boy, thanks to the gobstone which worked as a powerful deterrent.

Katie and I were walking toward Gryffindor Tower together when she was stopped by a boy I wasn't familiar with. I went on ahead of her while the two talked. Turning a corner at the same time as another the two of us collided.

"I'm sorry." The boy said anxiously. I look up at Neville Longbottom.

I was taken back. Both in motion and in words. Something had changed in my friend since she had come to Hogwarts and in my mind her brother was the reason. He was the one to blame for my loss of a good friend. Yet here he was looking so small, quiet and almost innocent.

"Don't worry about it." I said. Just as I was going to continue on my way I was stopped.

"Please wait!" Neville said. Spinning around on his heels. His eyes were glued to the floor a moment before they looked straight into mine "There's something I've wanted to tell you."

The two of us found an empty corridor separate from any others. It was out of the way and rarely used. Being led along alone with a boy I excepted to feel panic but something about the timid boy felt trusting. The two of us sat on a bench along a wall. Tension radiated in the space between us and the uncomfortable silence slowly became unbearable.

"You wanted to talk?" I asked. Neville looked up from his hands that were balled together and his eyes faced the wall directly across. He nodded.

"First." He said with his voice shaking. "I want to thank you for being my sisters friend."