welcome home

"Ready to go?"

"Ready to go?"

"Yeah!" I said. Today dad and I are leaving to his home and my excitement could not be contained.

"We are going to apparte so hold on tight to my arm and don't let go. Now have you got everything?"

I nod my head, putting my backpack on and wrapping both my arms around his. Interlocking my fingers to make sure not to lose my hold. "I'm ready."

One moment we are standing still in his quarters, the next we are being squished together, I feel like I'm being turned inside out. My stomach is flipping, my head spinning. My eyes are closed tight as I'm waiting for it to end. It feels like all the weight of the world is put on us, pushing in at all sides while also stretching you into a thin line. Our feet hit the floor and we are again standing still. I open my eyes and let go of dad's arm. I didn't even realize how tightly I was holding on or that my nails were digging into his skin.

"I'm so sorry," I said, rubbing over the cuts on his arm, "I didn't even know how tight I was holding on."

"It's ok. I know it's scary to first time," he smiled down at me. "Now, welcome home."

I glance around the room. Looking to my left there is a bay window overlooking a quiet country road. The walls are a soft cream with white baseboards along the floor. No photos are hung. No memories displayed, leaving the walls bare. A green couch stood slightly off center from the middle of the room. A couple small chairs circled around a hardwood coffee table. A few coasters we stacked on the table, ready for use for company. Only one was taken off of the stack, laying on the table closest to one of the lounge chairs. The most comfy looking one, it was padded on the back and on the arm rests. The burnt orange color complimented the couch nicely. Behind the couch was a built in bookshelf, completely full from floor to ceiling. A few plants were placed among the shelves, except they had died from lack of care.

"You like to read?" I asked.

"Love to." Dad replied.

"I like to too."

"We'll have to get into the bookshop in town, we can make a day out of it."

"That sounds fun! Can I see the rest of the house?"

"Yes, yes of course. Here why don't we take your things and I can show you your bedroom."

I nodded and followed dad out of the living room and down a short hallway.

"The house is small but it being just me I had no need for anything more." He smiled nervously.

Just past the living room is the doorway to a long hall which inside it stands three doors, one on the left, one on the right and one straight ahead.

"This is the bathroom." He said, pointing to the door to the left. The last two doors are right beside each other at the very end of the hall. "This bedroom here," he said, pointing to the right, "this one is mine." I nodded my head. "And this one is a spare but it can be yours if you'd want it but I want to show you this one." He motioned me to walk back down the hall.