CHAPTER 7 - the night we met

KOU
—❁—

"Get a grip on yourself, man!" Yokoo put his hands on my desk as he looked at me. "You guys have been hanging out for like 2 weeks—that doesn't mean he's in love with you." I sigh and pat his shoulder, "Just admit it.. you're jealous that I've gotten more action in 2 weeks than you have in months.. it's okay." I put my other hand on my heart, as a way to show my condolences. Satou then butts in, "I mean, Yokoo does have a point—as odd as it is." He looks at me. "Just because you guys hit it off extremely good doesn't mean you guys are gonna get married one day and crap." I blink as I look at him, I guess I was sort of starting to get where the two were coming from, but I genuinely feel like things with Mitsuba are running smoothly.

Just then, he comes walking into the classroom. His hair was up like always, but it still looked great. "Excuse me fellas, I have someone to talk to." I squeeze past them and meet Mitsuba at his desk. He smiles as he places his backpack down to the side of his seat and looks up at me. "Hey Minamoto-kun!" I smile back as he speaks, "Hey Mitsu.. what's that you have there?" I point at a folder that he pulls out of his bag and places on his desk. "It's just my photos, the ones that I had developing after school on Friday." He hands the folder to me. "You can look at them if you want to." I take the folder, but the bell rings before I can even open it. I then sit down behind Mitsuba and begin to peer into the folder, the teacher walking into the class. "Alright class, to start off the day we'll be doing a quick mathematics lesson so get out your workbooks."

As the lunch dismissal bell rings, I hand Mitsuba back his folder. "Those pictures were really good, Mitsu- you should submit them into a contest." Mitsuba takes the folder and puts it back in his bag before getting up and putting his bag on his back, "I've thought about it, but I feel like it would be stupid to turn a hobby I like doing into a competition; and by the way," He looks at me. "What's up with the name Mitsu? Was Sousuke too boring for you or something?" I look at him as we leave the classroom. "Nah, not at all! Mitsu was just a little nickname I thought up this morning and I figured it sounded pretty neat.." We walk up to the roof and he gives me a smile. "Yeah, sure. Are you not gonna grab lunch?" I hold up a lunch I packed as we sit down. "Way ahead of you."

Ever since lunch, I've been feeling really weird. It didn't feel like I was controlling my thoughts as usual, and every time I looked at Mitsuba—I felt this urge come over me, and I could almost feel his beauty send a shockwave through my entire body. My nerves feeling a sense of lust for him. Why was this happening? There was no way I was possessed.

Just then, I brought a hand up to my right ear.

My omamori was gone. I forgot to put my traffic safety earring in my ear this morning because I was too busy trying to rush to school so I could see Mitsuba.

Is that why I was feeling this why? It had to be.

Eventually, the school day was over and I caught myself hanging out with Mitsuba again, this time we were just wandering around the courtyard as he snapped photos of things he found. I couldn't help but feel like something was bugging me, though. "Hey Sousuke?" I look at Mitsuba, who was crouched down on the ground snapping a picture of some plants he found. "Hm-" He mutters as his camera clicks. "I just.. had a quick question." I undo my tie as I sit on the ground next to him. "What's that?" He looks at me as I fidget with the rings on the bottom of my staff. "What would you do if one of your friends were to randomly confess to you about how they feel about you.. and they started saying things about how much they love you, and how much they would love to—I dunno.. make you their boyfriend?" I could feel him judging me with his squinted eyes. "Um.. well." He sits down and criss-crosses his legs. "I'd probably say no or something.." My eyebrows raise, "What? If you don't mind me asking—" I look at him. "—Why exactly would you say no?" He just shrugs.