Chapter 22: Sports Festival - Encounter: Bakugo

I was awoken by the sound of the familiar sound of explosions.

"Ah. Your awake," Setsuna said next to be.

"Did I fall asleep?" I said scratching my nape, "What did I miss?"

"Only a few matches," Juzo said as he was seated beside me as well.

I look at the ring to see clouds of black smoke and a girl at the end of it.

"That Bakugo sure is strong," Kaibara said slouching on the railings with the other boys.

"Not the mention ruthless," Tsuburaba said wincing at another explosion.

"Hehe. You aren't wrong about that..." I said, "but that's not all there is to it."

"I hate to agree with you, but Marcus is indeed right," Monoma said with his arms crossed looking at the puzzled pro heroes, "What an idiot."

Bakugo's harsh performance wasn't getting any better as someone in the crowd started to boo him and people began to follow. As much as I hated to watch the girl getting mauled by Bakugo, they weren't seeing the bigger picture of the whole situation. The girl possessed a kind of gravity quirk, and she collected rubble and hid it in the smoke.

It would've been nice to watch him get owned, but I knew Bakugo. No matter how weak his opponent might be he would be on guard and give it his all to face his opponent to the end. It was his way of showing respect even though he would most likely prevail.

When the girl released the rubble and unleashed her meteor shower, it was no surprise that Bakugo saw it coming. He lifted his right arm as it crackled and made an explosion big enough to incinerate the girl's attack.

"All in all, it was a good plan," Monoma said, "her only problem was that her opponent was him."

"You said it," I sigh and rest my head on my hand, "He's an asshole, but a smart and somewhat respectable one."

"Now that you mention it," Juzo said, "Do you two know each other? He seemed quite angry when he saw you."

"Ah..." I said remembering, "I wouldn't say we're friends."

I tell my class about my relationship with Bakugo as we watch Tetsutetsu's rematch. I told them how he was mostly a passive bully and picked mainly on Midoriya and later me as I was with him most of the time. I hid the fact that Midoriya used to be quirkless and he and I didn't use quirks because of not knowing how to control them. As I wrapped up my story, Tetsutetsu's match had sadly ended in his loss.

"Aw man," Kendo said, "he was so close too."

"We should cheer him up when he gets back," Pony said encouraging others.

When Tetsutetsu came back, we tried to make him feel better until I had gotten another text. However, it was from someone who I wasn't expecting. I take my chance to leave when everyone was focused on Tetsutetsu and leave to a nearby gate. When I reach it, my contactor was already here leaning on a wall.

"...What do you want," I said walking over, "Katsuki Bakugo."

"Marcus," he spoke looking up.

We stared at each other in silence.

"Just how long..." his voice was filled with anger, "how long have you been tricking me?!"

Before I had the chance to speak, he slammed his palm near my face with an explosion.

"I don't know why you quirkless good-for-nothings got quirks," Bakugo removes his hand and turns around, "but don't think for a second that makes you better than me."

"..." I stay quiet until he starts to walk away, "You know, I never said I was quirkless."

"What was that?" he said turning back around.

"I don't know about Midoriya, but I never said I was quirkless," I said walking up next to him, "You just presumed I was."

Our talk was starting to escalate into a fight as the atmosphere was getting tense. To be honest, I wasn't trying to provoke him. I just wanted to stand my ground and not look weak. The fatigue wasn't helping either because I was sure that I would loose to him in my current situation.

"Both of these competitors have won top marks in this festival so far!" we hear Present Mike's voice through the speakers.

We both lower our hands and face away from each other.

"I'll change," I said before we parted, "I'll show you I'm not the same person from middle school and become a pro hero."

"Don't push your luck," Bakugo said walking away, "I'll crush you. Every last one of you and become number 1."

I came back to my seat before the match could start and let out a big sign.

"Where were you?" Kendo asked from behind.

"I met up with someone," I said, "Anything happen?"

"Nope," she said, "Just wondering where you went."

"Just met an old acquaintance," I said mumbling the last part, "...an arrogant short-tempered acquaintance."