17. The Homecoming

My older sister opened the door after I knocked for the fifth time. Pale pink strands halted her amber eyes from assessing me, and her posture suggested that I had woken her up from a deep slumber. She squinted at me, then grinned as she realized who I was. "Glennie! You finally came!" She enveloped me in a tight bear hug as I struggled to free myself. "Only because I had nowhere else to go." She ushered me in and closed the door to reveal a cosy apartment within. Colourful carpets on the floor, neat wallpapers, vibrant rugs and tasteful showpieces were not what I expected to find in Magnolia's flat. She had always been a messy person. It had been eight years since I last saw her, so she probably changed a lot. I didn't even recognize her. Weariness took over my body as I headed to take a quick nap. 

DAY 1

I woke up to the noise of the mixer. Maggie must be making her special homemade smoothie. I had no idea what she put in that - but it was delicious. Giving in to the temptation, I walked to the kitchen as the aroma of the smoothie hit me. "Having fun? I knew you'd like it." That sentence brought me back to my senses as I placed the glass down. I replied, trembling with a fresh wave of rage, "You know nothing about me." 

Maggie didn't have any right to pretend like everything was fine. She abandoned Mom and me when she was sixteen to pursue her Hollywood dreams, which she claimed we 'never' supported. We both didn't hear a single word from her after her escape. Mom used to sit on her old sofa and watch Maggie on the television screen, tears falling from her eyes.

 She was never there to wipe Mom's tears; she didn't even bother to show up at her funeral three years later. She didn't even call me once to check up on the eight-year-old sister she had left behind who had lost her mother at 11.  I was passed from foster parents to distant relatives, and I was a handful. After getting kicked out of my sixth house in five years, I received a letter from the Hollywood actress, Maggie Valt, offering me a place to stay. Having no other option, I had to come here. That didn't mean I forgave her. Knowing her, she probably wanted to be showcased as an adoring sister by the media to revive her dying career. She always was good at acting.

I stood up from the stool I was sitting on, wiped my hands and glared at Maggie. "I'm going out, I'll come back by evening." Something changed in the atmosphere as her eyes flashed a dangerous shade. The moment passed as she put on a bright smile and said, " No way! It's your first day with me, let's spend it together!"

I scoffed. "Yeah, well, I'd rather not. I'll come back by evening." Maggie subtly contained her irritation and replied, her voice sweet like honey," Alright then, I know you'll take time to adjust. You'll come around eventually." I didn't reply, just walked out. It was obvious she was irritated and while I loved that I was the cause, I didn't want to push her too far. She could easily force me to stay inside since I was still a minor and she was my guardian. Every act of freedom was precious, speaking from experience.

I returned late that night, to find Maggie waiting for me. "Where were you? You're late!" she yelled. Her eyes were animated with fury and I flinched. Maggie never got angry. She was cold, but never furious. Her nickname in middle school was 'frosty' - her stare froze people. She really had changed a lot in eight years. I brushed past her as she grabbed my arm and forced me to face her. Her sharp nails dug into my skin as I winced. Seeming to realize what she was doing, she let me go and stalked back to her room, leaving behind crescent-shaped scars on my skin. Slightly more wary, I went up to my room and locked the door.

Just in case.

DAY 5

Since her violent anger on the first day, Maggie backed off. She acted cheerful most of the time, though there were moments when that chilling temper took over her. I ignored those moments; they were so fleeting and rare that I felt like I imagined them sometimes. But there was no mistaking the scars on my arms that had almost vanished in four days. The memory didn't.