25. Blue

She was an anomaly. The only human that had naturally pale blue hair. Her twin, Vera, didn't. She was unnamed, abandoned. Vera wasn't. Vera was loved, cherished. The other twin, 'she' was tested, experimented on. Escaping brought her to the streets, but 'she' found out that the streets were no better. 'She' became a savage, a wild blue thing, but Vera did not. Vera grew up just fine, a refined girl under a tasteful golden updo. 'She' tried desperately to change her hair - but no dye stuck. Vera decided to have a sophisticated 'rebellious' phase, and she dyed her hair pale blue. If only she knew how much her twin had suffered because of that very colour. Pale blue for her meant confinement, torture, but for Vera, it signified freedom. And then 'she' met Vera.

She was rabid and furious. Vera was everything she lost - a good life, a home, love, normalcy. Vera was everything she wanted to be. 

So she learnt. 'She' observed Vera, she spoke Vera, she breathed Vera.

And then, she killed Vera. Vera didn't deserve her life. 

'She' was Vera, her twin was not. 'She' was loved and alive, her twin was not. And years later, 'she' decided to change her name. Vera wasn't her name, it was her twin's. Every time someone called her Vera, she felt like an imposter. When she thought of a new name, tears sprung to her eyes. 'She' would no longer be unnamed. Vera was now Sera.

'She' loved her name, Sera. Sera was a new beginning, a fresh start. No one ever bothered to check if her blue hair was real. 

Sera was a refined lady under a tasteful blue updo.