45. A Cautionary Note

You think you're smart, don't you? You think you're brave, so bold, so confident. So utterly invincible. Well, I think that if you're reading this, you already know you're not. Far from it, in fact. Let me state the symptoms for you.

Sometimes, do you get the feeling that you've lived the same moment before, like deja vu? Do you feel like sometimes you forget things, and they remain on the very edge of your mind? Like it's so close but yet so far? Do you randomly realise just how strange some words sound, like car or torch? Do you look at a bunch of clothes in your darkened room and think that it's a creature instead? Maybe a clown, sometimes a doll. If your growing concern is threatening to spill over as you read this, don't worry. It's all fine as long as you don't feel hungry despite not eating anything the whole day. It's perfectly ok as long as you don't get random shivers out of the blue.

 But if all of this resonates with you, I'm very very sorry. The medical analysis won't show it, and neither will anything in the scientific world. Most of the people in this world are born perfectly whole and normal. But some people, some very unfortunate people are born in halves. Them, and their unborn twin. Their twin lives inside their body, and it fights to overpower your personality and take over. Occasionally, it does, hence the deja vu and memory loss. Sometimes, we can even feel them fighting in mysterious pangs in our hearts that get worse every time we inhale. Strange bruises form, and your appetite disappears. That means they're getting closer to power. And one day, you'll get a heart attack and disappear, with your twin taking your place. The doctors would advise rest, and the twin would be so happy to have an excuse to adapt to the world. 

They say people change after a heart attack. They don't know how close to the truth that saying is.