015

─────── 𝐂 𝐇 𝐀 𝐏 𝐓 𝐄 𝐑    𝟏𝟓 ───────

[19 | 02 | 23 , 6:12pm]

It was an ordinary evening for Riki. He had gotten back from dance practice just an hour ago and was now lying his bed and scrolling through his phone trying to relax a bit.

He was watching a recent video uploaded to one of his friend's Instagram account, when his phone began buzzing and a call notification appeared at the top of his screen. Riki frowned, seeing that it was an unknown number and his fingers lingered around the red declined button, but after giving it a thought, he gradually moved his finger to the left and swiped right.

It doesn't hurt just checking right?

He was nervous for some reason, his hands ever so slightly trembling as he brought his phone to his ear, saying a loud 'hello' into the air.

It was silent at first, just some static from poor connection.

"Hello?" Riki greeted again, this time a little louder and clearer.

To be honest Riki was hoping this would be some silly prank call and that on the other side of the line was just a bored teenager with nothing better to do.

That's what he hoped, but having been born a child of bad luck he never seems to get what he wishes for.

"Hello."

Riki's heart dropped.

That deep, raspy at the throat voice-

It belonged to his brother. Surely this was his brother calling him. But after all these years? Why now?

"Hello.. Uhm.. Riki?" the voice asked again.

It was him. 100%.

"Hello?" again the same voice. This wasn't a hallucination or twisted game of the mind then. "Is anyone there?"

Riki cleared his throat, recovering from the shock. "K-Kaito?"

A chuckle of relief on the other side, "Yeah. It's me otouto (*meaning younger brother)"

Riki gulped, asking the question he thought as soon as he heard the voice. "Why are you calling me?"

"Not even a 'how are you?' first eh?" Kaito laughed.

"Ah no, that's not how it is-" Riki shook his head. "It's just... been so long, you know?"

"Hmm," a low hum. "It has, hasn't it. I've recently got my life together with a wife, child and good paying job and thought it's finally time to reconcile again. It took me quite a bit of research to get my hands on your number but I got in touch with an old friend. Aki, remember him?"

"Of course."

"He gave it to me. It wasn't that difficult to bribe him, you know what he's like."

Riki chuckled, "Yeah, I get it."

It was an awkward moment of silence after. Neither side knew what to say.

"I-" Riki began, hesitating to continue. "I missed you a lot."

"Oh-"

Kaito was shocked. Maybe it was because he thought Riki forgot about him? Or maybe he thought Riki would never forgive him for what he did? Or he just didn't know how to respond?

But he didn't reply to the confessions. Instead Riki quickly asked him, "When are you coming back?"

"Riki-ah, that's difficult to say. I might never even be back-"