Chapter XI - A Choice With No Regrets pt 2

Within the Survey Core headquarters a reunion between Commander and squad captains was being held. Their topic of discussion revolving the trio of underground thugs...

"Honestly! It's humiliating!"

The introduction of the three thugs into the ranks of the survey core had made tensions high between the squad leaders and their commander. They had worked hard for their position in the military! And these thugs could just be welcomed with open arms? Why bring these criminals here?

One of the squad leaders Flagen, brought down his fist on the table they were seated at.

"We've been properly trained, and you want us to take in some criminals?! Being treated the same as underground thugs...It's going to affect the troops morale!" Flagen tried to argue with the commander.

"I agree with Flagen, furthermore we're even taking them along on the next expedition beyond the walls?" Another captain said.

Erwin remained calm despite the captains worries, showing certainty in his voice. "I do understand your concerns...However, I can vouch for their ODM skills."

Hanji who was seated at the head of the table backed up Erwin.

"Besides! Erwin's new formation idea is revolutionary! Until he became commander, we've focused on how to defeat titans. But this focuses on how to avoid encountering them, resulting in less casualties. He's got as much brains as he's got eyebrows!"

Only Hanji laughed at her joke.

"What the thugs lack in discipline and understanding of our formations is no current problem. They are smart and will learn quickly." Explained Erwin.

They all stayed quiet. Mostly from displeasure caused by Erwins decision. It didn't seem fair in their eyes to force these inexperienced soldiers into the front lines without any further training. No matter how good their ODM skills were, they have never seen a Titan and what it can do.

"Is that understood?" Asked the commander.

"Yes sir!" They all saluted the man as he stood.

"Very well, you are dismissed."
.

.
Erwin watched from his office window as Hanji introduce Farlan, Isabel, and Levi to their new comrades. He didn't fail to notice how Moblit stood closer than usual to Hanji...Erwin thought how the assistant probably felt the need to protect her in front of the criminals.

'No...they are no longer criminals. These three are my soldiers.' 

The commander watched with slight amusement as the survey corps ranks gasped in surprise when Levi showed zero respect or formality when introducing himself. Worsened by Isabel who gave a casual cheerful greeting. Only Farlan was decent enough to offer a firm salute to the corps.