Chapter XXII- A Dim light in Avid Dispair

"Oi, Mop-Top!"

"Sir!"

"What do they call you maggot?!"

"Armin Arlert from Shinganshina, sir!"

"Wow seriously? Why would your parents curse you with such a dumb name?"

"It was my grandfathers sir!"

"Cadet Arlert! Why is a runt like you here!?"

"To help humanity overcome the Titans!" The poor boys voice cracked half way into the sentence. The scene caused you to chuckle slightly as you watched by the sidelines. Shadis continued to shout at and degrade the blonde.

"That is delightful to hear! You're gonna become a great diet snack for them!"

Your two companions—some garrison higher ups in charge of the training regimen besides Shadis walked besides you, watching the scene unfold.

"Look at him go, the man is a master when it comes to fresh-face recruits." The older of the two stated.

You remained quiet while a younger male chuckled. "That takes me back." He said, probably remembering back to his training when he got the same harsh treatment.

Your thoughts ran rapid despite the screaming ensuing from Shadis in the background. Honestly you didn't even want to be here 'scouting recruits' as Erwin had put it. However you only agreed in order to get closer to certain individuals...You had obviously already spotted our favorite protagonist amongst the crowd of recruits.

"Is a pathetic worm like you the best Karaness has to offer!?" Shadis taunted a short girl with black hair.

"I'm afraid that's the case sir!" She tried to keep her voice stern. However the pressure she felt was evident by the drop of sweat sliding down her forehead.

"What's the point of all the intimidation?" The young blonde besides you asked.

The older male came to a stop and turned to answer him.

"It's a Rite of Passage. Through stress and degradation we revert them into blank slates—"

You cut the man off, finishing his sentence for him. "From there, we can mold them bit by bit into proper soldiers." You quoted, remembering the line from the anime.

"Exactly—" he continued.

"He is the first step to the process." He said, referring to Keith Shadis.

"Our scout member here knows this process all too well. She worked with Shadis in molding last years recruits—and I hear she'll be helping him this year as well...Am I right Mrs. Smith?"

Something you couldn't quite place—a feeling of joy maybe... you felt it every time someone referred to you as 'Mrs. Smith' Even after a few years of your 'marriage' with Erwin—the name still caught you off guard every time someone said it.

Being the commanders wife held great honor and respect with it. The two men next to you felt it—Shadis felt it, and even the recruits, with fear of getting caught by Shadis, only dared to glance at you briefly. However they all knew that the one and only YN Smith was watching—searching for recruits to scout into her husbands regiment. However most weren't crazy enough to accept her offer to join the scouts even if  it was presented.

Eren Yager wasn't most. He couldn't hold back as he continued to glance in your direction. After all—ever since that day where he had seen you talk to that grieving mother after returning from the expedition. And news of you saving dozens of people the day the walls fell—you had become his idol. He sometimes wished his mother could have been one of the lucky ones saved by you.