Chapter XVII - The Dragon Gang

Days spent with Erwin were always good moments.

Two days after the announcement about your promotion to Team Captain. The scout members had been working hard to try and impress you for a chance to be selected into the squad. Only two more people could be chosen, and you had a reputation for being one of the best. Rivalry between the soldiers was high as you walked with Erwin across the training field. You eyed every soldier carefully, measuring and judging each of their movements as they fought their opponent. Some excelled while others struggled to take down their partner.  They were under the impression however that hand to hand combat although useful—wasn't necessary for fighting titans. The real test would come in with their ODM gear, that's when they would showcase their true abilities.

You knew better however. You knew almost exactly what the future would bring and so the soldiers you'd pick had to be skilled in more than just killing titans. You needed someone who had the heart and spirit for your mission. Knowing that some soldiers didn't put that much effort into hand to hand combat, you didn't judge them too hard on that.  However you'd definitely enforce the discipline once they were in your squad.

You eyed carefully two soldiers in particular. You often saw them together, wether it was in the dinning hall or during training. It seemed they complemented each other.

You watched as the male of the pair charged at his sparring partner—a female slightly taller than him. She skillfully knocked him down. Unlike the rest of the soldiers who would simply continue with the next match. This woman instead helped him up. She then seemingly began to show him what he had done wrong. The male listened carefully and nodded. They fought again, this time he held his ground for much longer.

'A pair who help eachother  improve rather than rival like the rest is exactly what I want in my squad'  You smiled thinking about how these two soldiers had already caught your attention before.

Erwin who you had almost forgotten was next to you, broke you from your thoughts.

"I see those two have caught your eye." He spoke lowly as to avoid any other soldiers from hearing you.

You nodded. "They are at the top of my list of options."

Erwin hummed as you continued walking. Now towards the forest where the soldiers scurried to strap on their gear to hopefully impress you with their skills slicing fake titans.

"Have they ever been in a expedition?" You asked. Watching the pair converse while they strapped on their ODM.

Erwin took his gear from a table and handed you yours. "Only three, they haven't done any team or solo kills yet or I would've heard of it. The girl is part of the part of the general III operations squad. While he is in general I"

You nodded you head in understanding as you looped your harness straps through the gear.

'Three missions already and not  a single kill yet—i think I know why.'

If your theory was correct, these two would be deadly if allowed to work together. That would be revealed once you got to see them as a team during training.

"Alright—let's go see what these two got."

.

.