Chapter 57

I was sat in the passenger seat of the car, in the driveway of the Irwin's home. My leg was bouncing, hands fidgeting with the bracelets I decided to wear today, and my breathing was heavy. I couldn't handle any thought that was bound to pass through my mind.

"El, you'll be okay," Ashton tried to reassure me. "What are you even nervous about?"

"I'm nervous about your family. I'm nervous I'll mess up. I'm nervous that I'm not good enough," I sighed, running a hand through my hair, another nervous gesture.

"Is that why you're wearing your bracelets? Because you think my family will judge your scars?" Ashton asked quietly. I nodded in a reply. "El, you're not going to be judged in this home. They'll know how to handle it, okay? Don't think they'll not accept you because you've been faced with many challenges in your fourteen years of life." Ashton was trying to make matters better but it wasn't really working. As I sighed, Ashton pushed a section of my hair behind my ear. He leaned over, gently kissing my forehead.

"Let's go," Ashton smiled, getting out of the car. He grabbed our bags as I got out of the car and we headed for the door. Ashton didn't bother on knocking, he just walked right in.

"I'm home!" Ashton screamed throughout the house. Harry and Lauren came running into the room, attacking Ashton with hugs, Ms. Irwin right after them.

"Hi Sweetie, how are you?" Ms. Irwin smiled at me, pulling me into a hug.

"I'm good, Ms. Irwin," I smiled back at her.

"Please, call me Anne," Anne held me by my shoulders. I nodded, letting her know I understood her wishes. Harry and Lauren didn't seem to realize I was here because they were too hooked up on Ashton, but I don't blame them.

"Okay, okay, let us take our stuff upstairs," Ashton giggled, pushing the kids off him. They didn't like it but scurried off anyways.

"C'mon El, I'll lead you up to your room." Ashton grabbed my bag, leading me upstairs. He pushed me into a fairly bland room, obvious it was a guest bedroom. Ashton put my bag on my bed, patting my head lightly.

"Come see my room, I really miss it!" Ashton whined as I looked around the guest bedroom. I rolled my eyes but followed Ashton to his room.

His room had brick walls, different from the rest of the house. It also had band posters everywhere and a small drum kit in the corner. A bed was in the middle of the room, up against the wall.

Ashton flopped down on his bed with a loud sigh.

"Man, I missed this comfortable bed," Ashton rolled into his covers. I jumped onto his bed with him, the springs squeaking underneath me.

"It's not that comfortable," I broke the news to Ash.

"Yes it is! Don't doubt me woman!" Ashton grabbed the pillow from underneath his head and whacked me with it. I let out a small squeal, taking the other pillow and hitting him back. This broke out into full on pillow fight. Sadly, not the stereotypical one with all the feathers flying everywhere.

We both stopped abruptly when we noticed Lauren standing in the doorway.

"Oh, hey Lauren! Come join us!" Ashton encouraged her. Lauren didn't look very happy, making my gaze fall to my hands gripping on the edge of the pillow. I looked back up when I heard a pillow hit her and watched it fall lamely to the floor.

"Lauren," Ashton whined, "join us!" Lauren rolled her eyes but picked up the pillow and chucked it back at Ashton. She was about to walk out of the room when Ashton lunged off his bed, tackling her. He started to hit her with the pillows, tickle her and just do other annoying things older brothers do. I felt a little awkward so I pulled my phone out of my pocket and brought up messages.