Chapter 4

Today was the day.

Today was your 18th birthday. And you were ready for what the day had in store for you.

Your parents greeted you with gifts and a nice meal to celebrate. On top of that, they told you that the suitor they found will be coming over this afternoon.

But what they didn't know was that you were planning on leaving soon to be with Sukuna. Since you agreed to marry him, you had to leave home to be with him. It was a sacrifice you had to make.

While your parents were out, they left you your kimono gown for the ceremony. You thought that it would be a good time to wear it since you were about to leave.

You wanted to give Sukuna a surprise on how beautiful you look. Would he care? You hoped so.

After putting it on, it fits you nicely. The embroidery of the gown was beautiful, along with the patterns to it.

While admiring the work you heard a familiar voice.

Sliding open the door, it was your friend Akiko. She looked at you with astonishment.
"Wow (y/n), you look so beautiful!"
"Thank you"
"Looks like you're excited to get married after all"
You only smile.
"Yes...it's very exciting for me"

"Now that you'll be wed, you'll have all the boys stop looking at you with perversion" she nudges you.

You look at her and see her growing belly. You see that she's pregnant, so you change the subject to that.
"So I see you're pregnant," you said
"Oh yeah! Finally, me and Chiba are expecting a boy. I hope it's a boy" She rubs her stomach.

You eye her stomach, but at the same time looked around to see if your parents were coming back. For now, they were still out. You had to hurry and leave as soon as you can.

"Listen, Akiko, I have to get ready. But I hope you have a wonderful day" you smile.
"Huh? What are you talking about? I came so I can help you. You're not seriously planning on doing this alone, are you? Even I didn't prep myself alone" she says as she comes in.

But you stop her midway.
"I-it's fine. It's not a lot of work. Honest"

"Now what do we have here?" You suddenly heard your mother.

Looking behind Akiko, you see your mother and father walking together with a boy who you recognize to be a merchant who's family owns a drapery shop far South of Heian-kyō.

Merchants are traditionally at the bottom of the social strata, but they are one of the wealthiest and most influential.

"(Y/n), you shouldn't wear your gown until the ceremony. Now take that off, I want to introduce you to Kanji. He always comes by and sells wonderful draperies for everyone here in town"

The boy name Kanji bows and looks at you as his face is flushed. He was admiring your beauty. But you didn't think any of it. Your mind right now was fully focused on leaving home to see your husband.

When your parents walked inside with Kanji behind, he held your hand and gives you a bright smile.

"I am so honored to be in the presence of such a beautiful woman, (l/n)-san" he gently says.

He was charming, and you felt bad to leave him empty-handed. But you can't keep Sukuna waiting.

"Thank you" you mumble.
"(Y/n), what is this letter?" Your father says as he held up a scroll.

Oh no, I forgot the letter!

It was your goodbye letter. To let your parents know that you found a husband and were about to leave without a trace.