DNA Test

The Same Night
Another bar
Ame POV

The Same NightAnother barAme POV

Himekawa: Get that dude wasted.

He said to a girl next to him.

Girl:*smiles* Okay.

The girl stood up and approached Kindaichi.

Himekawa: Men can't help but empty their glasses when cute girls fill them up. Once we get him drunk, we can get all the information we want, especially his embarassing past.

Me&Aqua: That's terrible.

Bartender: Kindaichi-san, this girl's an actress, so please let her act for you.

He introduced the same girl that was with Himekawa earlier.

Girl:*smiles* My name's Luna!

Kindaichi: Mmm, I guess if something comes up.

Aqua: What kind of bar is this?

Himekawa: Most of the staff here are models and idols who need to survive on a second job despite their good looks. This bar lets them work here in secret without their agencies' knowledge.

Me: I guess that makes the entry is on a strict member-only basis.

Himekawa: That's right. The risk of being found out is low. There are plenty of places like this.

Aqua: Really sounds like you're a regular here.

Me: Didn't you only recently turned 20?

Himekawa: Yeah, I love cute girls after all.

He said while patting a girl's head next to him.

Himekawa: Oh well, don't get me wrong, Ame. I really love Hina. Even though we are not dating for that long, she's the only woman I ever got into a serious relationship with.

Me: I see.

Himekawa: And this is also the perfect place for something casual.

Aqua: One orange juice please.

Girl: Okaaaay.

The girl poured orange juice into Aqua's cup. Then...

Kindaichi: Hey, you haven't been drinking at all, Himekawa...

Himekawa: Oops, he got me.

Kindaichi ruffled his hair from behind. He's definitely drunk.

Kindaichi:*smiles* You ingrate. I didn't raise you to be no teetotaler. Drink up.

Himekawa: Yeah, yeah, I'm drinking.

Me: What kind of relationship you two have?

Himekawa: I came from a children's home. Kindaichi has been looking after me since I got out of there.

Me&Aqua: Children's home...

Kindaichi: I like people who are a little broken. They absorb techniques to fill that void inside them. Himekawa is exactly such a person.

Himekawa: Don't tarnish my good name.

Kindaichi: But it's true and you know it.

He then looked at us.

Kindaichi: You two, too. Aqua and Himekawa have similar acting styles. You act like aliens trying to imitate human beings. Because you're different from them, you observe their behaviour so that you can adapt to this world.

Himekawa: You're right. That's something that I would do.

Kindaichi: As for Ame, you can wear multiple "masks" at the same time for one character. Everyone in the industry said the same thing about you. "You're acting while you're not acting."

Me: Just go and have a tragic past and you can do the same.

Himekawa: That's a harsh way to put it.

Kindaichi: Aqua, I used to think you were one of those who can't act. But what you had in the final act, I could see genuine emotions in it. That was the real thing, I love it. Well, that's all down to my brilliant guidance.

Himekawa: There you go taking all the credit again.

Kindaichi: Shut up.

Aqua:... It's just as Ame said. Having a tragic past actually helps.

However, Kindaichi was too drunk to hear us anymore.

Kindaichi: I raised this boy from a literal-who to a megaseller, yet he still won't drink. Drink, drink up!

And then, he passed out.

Himekawa: Ah, I've overdone it.

He laid Kindaichi next to him.

Himekawa: My bad. I'll find a way to get him to spill the tea eventually.

Aqua: Don't worry about it.

Me: Both Aqua and I are here today because we wanted to speak to you. We've been waiting for a chance like this to do so.

Himekawa: Hm?

Aqua: Here.

He put a paper on the table and Himekawa picked it up.

Himekawa: A DNA test?

Me: Himekawa, you have the same father as us.

Black stars appeared in my eyes while a black star appeared in Aqua's right eye.

Aqua: Could you tell us more about your father?

Himekawa fell silent.

This is the best lead we have for now. Please, make it useful.

Himekawa: Half-brothers... That kind of thing really... Well, I guess it happens. This isn't something we should talk about here. I'd also like to get the old man to bed. Shall we head to a third place?

Me&Aqua: Where to?

Himekawa: Well, how about my place?

To be continued...