23. Hangouts & acceetping the present (sort of)

"You said no?!" Laney said in disbelief, staring at me in awe.

"Yeah" I shrugged, "I sort of think I like someone else- but I'm not sure, though," I said it as nonchalantly as possible but I was freaking out on the inside.

What if I liked Tabitha Thompson? What would happen next- what would I do- how would I tell her?

Would I even tell her...?

I was terrified- terrified that if I liked Tabitha- what happened in middle school...

Will repeat itself.

And I don't want another Harmony Lewis...

I didn't care all too much about everyone else named Harmony- but Harmony Lewis...

I never wanted to fall in love again- and maybe that was my fault- not hers.

But if I did completely like Tabitha- and this wasn't just- strange feelings or the excitement of having a new friend- well, then my worse fears would be confirmed.

And I wouldn't know what to do after that.

Then again I've never liked anyone so fast before- so, was this just the excitement of having a new friend?

"Oh, who," Laney asked with a teasing wiggle of her brows.

It was Saturday and since October was rapidly approaching and Layla and Tabitha BOTH got detention today, Laney and I decided it'd be a good time to have a horror movie marathon- and when I go to work Monday, I too can debate which horror franchise is better with Ivy and Oliver.

"Someone" I smiled, feeling a slight heat rising to my cheeks, "and I said I didnt know, yet"

Laney playfully wrinkled her nose, "fine, keep that secret" she huffed jokingly.

I laughed, "Hey, I'll tell you who I like when you tell me who you're dating".

"Not a chance" she booped me on the nose before throwing a pack of cookie dough into our shopping cart.

"Damn it" I pouted, "I really wanted to know".

Laney laughed before the two of us went down the frozen food section, "ice cream, or pizza rolls?" Laney stopped in front of one of the big freezers and looked at me- waiting for my decision.

"Uhm" I squinted, looking up in thought- that, whether I liked it or not, was a habit I picked up from Harmony.

Early in life, I found that I easily pick up the habits of people I'm around- but usually, that only happens when I like the person-

And in this case- the case of Tabitha that is- I was hoping, wishing, praying- I didn't like her.

Tabitha is the first friend I've ever made without Layla since I got to Summerville! I didn't need that friendship ruined all because I was scared of liking someone the way I liked Harmony Lewis in the sixth to eigth grade.

"Both" I finally answered and Laney laughed, "god you're no help".

"You know I suck at making decisions" I chuckled.

She shook her bead and smiled, throwing the pizza rolls and ice cream into the cart before turning to me again, "Is that all?"

I shrugged, "I have no idea".

"Oh you're absolutely no help" she shook her head with a laugh.
. . .
"I'm home!" I announced as I entered the apartment, throwing my purse on the armchair close to the front door.

Unlike most times, Piper didn't come running, instead, I was met with a fairly silent house.

"Huh..." I said to myself, "That's weird..."