Chapter Five

• March 4th, 2005 • Forks HS Cafeteria •

Reader

It's raining outside again for the umpteenth time this week, forcing myself and my preferred Cullen sibling to sit apart at our respective tables inside as our usual table outside collects rain. I glance at the table the Cullen's claimed and spot Jasper already watching me so I wave shyly. He returns it with a grin only to receive a shove from Emmett as he no doubt teases Jasper for the action.

"Hey - La Push baby, you and Y/n in?" Eric asks Bella as she drops her bag into the chair next to mine.

"Should I know what that means?" She questions back before I could voice the same inquiry.

"La Push Beach down at the Quileute Rez, we're all going tomorrow." Mike explains.

"Yeah, there's a big swell coming in." Jessica adds.

Eric pops up from his seat, splaying his hands out like he's already riding a wave "And I don't just surf the internet!"

"Eric, you stood up once and it was a foam board." Jess teases him as Mike mirrors his goofy stance, earning a smack from Tyler at the goofy display.

"But there's whale-watching too, come with us." Angela prods us gently with her kind eyes.

"La Push baby, it's La Push." Eric tries to make the words sound cooler than they are and I can help but hide a chuckle behind my hands.

"Okay," glancing at me before I give her a nod, "we'll go if you stop saying that, okay?" Bella concedes before leaving our table to grab a school lunch, I catch Edward standing from his seat to follow her.

"Seriously dude, it's creepy man." Mike teases Eric. Their conversation fades into the background as I lean back and open my book while I munch on my carrots.

•••

• March 5th, 2005 • La Push Beach, Quileute Reservation •

Reader

"I don't know if it's worth it anymore." Eric says worriedly as he, Mike, and Jessica finish pulling on their wetsuits.

"We drove all the way out here, I'm at least paddling out." Jess tells the boys. She's stronger than I am, because there isn't any chance I'd subject myself to the freezing water willingly.

"So," Angela starts, "I keep thinking that Eric's going to ask me to the prom. And he just... doesn't."

"You should ask him, take control. You're a strong, independent woman." Bella affirms our friend.

"I am?" Angela responds, unsure.

"Yes." Blunt and to the point, Bella nods at her.

"Absolutely Ang, he's just a boy and he would be stupid to turn you down." I add, confident Eric would be over the moon to go to prom with someone as smart and amazing as her.

"Hey, will you do me up?" Jessica asks me, spinning around in front of me where I lean against the open passenger door next to Angela's perch on the seat.

"Of course." I oblige her as she moves her hair to the side.

"Bella!" Turning towards the voice, three tall guys from the reservation walk towards our van.

"Hi, Jacob." Bella greets the one leading the small group, "Guys, this is Jacob." She tells us and he gives the rest of us a nod and a wave before sitting next to Bella in the open side door. "What are you, like, stalking me?" I hear Bella tease Jacob.