Chapter Twenty-One

• March 8th, 2006 • Home •

Reader

Time starts to pass by a little easier with Quil, the quiet isn't as deafening even when there's a comfortable silence. I think the same could be said for Quil, since all of his Rez friends have gone AWOL.

Our days are usually spent under blankets on my couch, watching movies and just being present for each other. Plus, there's not much to do in this tiny ass town anyways.

"Heard anything?" I ask him tentatively, hopefully.

He shakes his head solemnly in response, eyes never leaving the tv. The fact that he doesn't even want to talk about Jake or Embry twists a new little knife in my gut.

"I'm okay, Y/n/n." The grin doesn't quite reach his eyes and I hate it.

"It's okay to miss them, I know it's hard to be stuck with just me now-"

"Don't." He reaches over to grab my ankle since I'm facing him on the couch and drags it to his lap, "You're here and they're not. I was friends with them longer and they ditched me for other dudes. I'm where I want to be."

"You don't have to hold it all in, I'm familiar with that feeling." I nudge his hand with my socked foot to get him to look at me. "What good am I if I don't therapize you too?"

"That would insinuate I do anything for you, you won't talk about him." His gaze levels on me and I'm caught red handed.

"There's not much to it, I-I loved him and he's gone. End of story." I pick at the loose strings on my blanket, the topic hard for me to meet his eyes.

"There's everything to it." He squeezes my foot, "Not end of story, you deserve to vent just as much as I do. You don't need to feel guilty for grieving him, heartache is a real bitch."

"Heartache is a bitch, huh?" I huff a laugh as I try to breathe through the tears that want to spring up.

"Y/n, I'm the loneliest guy on the planet. In the male friends department and the girlfriend department, don't make fun of me." His lighthearted tone trying and failing to make light of his situation.

"We're just fucked, aren't we?" His brown eyes meet mine as we commiserate in our collective sadness.

His head drops back against the back of the couch, "Beyond comprehension, my dear Y/n/n."

•••

• March 11th, 2006 • Home •

Reader

My finger hovers over a text to Quil, asking him to come over, when I get a call from my other best friend.

"Bells, hey-"

"I need backup." Her request draws me up short. "I'm going to the Rez-I need to see Jacob."

"Bella, he's with Sam now-"

"I don't care anymore, you in?" She presses.

"I was in the second you called, I'll be waiting outside."

"Good, because I'm almost there." Hanging up the phone, I grab a jacket and my shoes.

So much for the first day of Spring Break, might as well start it off with a bang.

•••

•March 11th, 2006 • Quileute Indian Reservation•

Reader

Bella slid to a stop in Jacob's driveway and both of us hopped out, memories of bike-building settling like a weight in my stomach. It wasn't even that long ago and I miss it, I miss Jacob.