Chapter Ten

• March 13th, 2005 • Cullen's Garage •

Reader

Ever since Jasper and I left my house in a hurry, I felt like I've been stuck in a haze. Like none of this is real. And even though I snapped at him on the ride over, he's respected my decision and kept me either within arm's reach or a hand touching me in some form. It's the only thing keeping me here in the moment while controlled chaos continues to explode in his family's garage.

I feel deft fingers unzipping my, or rather Jasper's, jacket and sliding it from my shoulders. I grab at the hands to stop them, but it's Jasper himself.

"I need to give it to Esme, for her to lure him with your scent. I also need your hat, sweetheart." He explains gently.

I release his hands and nod, allowing him to take the articles from me. I shiver without his jacket to keep me warm and he immediately replaces it with a different hoodie, this time slipping it over my head.

"Another one of mine that I don't mind letting you borrow." He winks at me and it draws out a smile from me. I feel at home cocooned in his scent.

On the other side of Carlisle's car I hear Edward arguing with Rose about carrying Bella's scent. Emmett squeezes past us to throw some supplies in the backseat of his Jeep and turns to me.

"Be safe, Y/n/n?" I nod and he turns to his brother, "Take care of her and watch your back, alright tough guy?"

"Likewise, big guy." Jasper replies, pulling him in for a quick hug with a smile before parting and opening the passenger door for me. Bella and Alice already waiting in the rear as I climb in and buckle up.

•••

• March 14th, 2005 • Outskirts of Phoenix, Arizona •

Reader

The entire trip south was a blur, what I assume normally is a two to three day trip, took us one day with minimal time for bathroom breaks and gas stops. Me being the designated one to refuel the car during the day since our protectors couldn't exit the vehicle and Bella spent the majority of the ride in and out of sleep. I was grateful for the temporary duty, it felt like I was actually being helpful instead of sitting and waiting for something to happen, which I know might very well be my fate once we make it to Phoenix.

"All done, darlin'?" I shake myself from my day-dream, Jasper had cracked his driver's side window and I meet his eyes in the side-view mirror.

"Oh shit-sorry." I quickly put away the pump and screw the gas cap back on before hurrying back to the passenger side.

"You alright?" He asks quietly, giving me a sidelong glance as he directs the car back to the interstate.

"Mhmm." I answer him, looking out of the window at the passing cars.

I feel a small hand slide onto my shoulder and give it a squeeze before it retreats to the back seat, Alice. I'm not really sure how to feel at this point, I mean - I am happy that Jasper is with me, lord knows I'd be a nervous mess worrying about him. But I can't help it thinking of the others, Esme wearing my scent and Rose wearing Bella's. Edward is the fastest and with his ability to read minds, he's formidable. Carlisle is an extremely smart man and I know Emmett is strong for a normal vampire, but is he stronger than vampires that drink human blood? I shiver, human blood. The vampires after Bella and I want our blood. Just as I'm about to spiral down a path of panic for fear of not being able to protect myself, a large hand slides over my left thigh.

Raising his eyebrows in concern, Jasper gently smooths his gift over my panic to calm me down and combined with the distraction of his hand, it works. I don't know what I would do without him, it's like fate knew I couldn't digest his world without his ability to control emotions. So I give him a sad smile and slide my hand on top of his, with him I can do this - we could do this.