Chapter Eight

• March 11th, 2005 • Forks High School •

Reader

"Emotions." Jasper says by way of greeting, placing his backpack on the picnic table that no doubtibly contains his art supplies.

"Everyone has them, yes?" I reply, my forehead wrinkling in confusion at his peculiar single-word statement.

"I can control them." He answers, visibly nervous as if he were afraid he just opened a can of worms.

I watch him pull out his well-worn sketchbook and pencils as I decide how to respond to this new bit of information.

"Say something, doll." Jasper looks almost pleading, worry setting in on his face.

"How does it work?" I question him, I'm in shock that he volunteered such important information in the middle of a school day at lunch as if it were a typical topic to talk about.

"Well, it started off as just being able to sense the emotions of humans and vampires in my vicinity," he lets out a sigh as he begins shading whatever it is he's working on. "Then I quickly figured out I can influence them. I can either enhance what someone is already feeling, take away their emotions altogether, or replace them entirely and give them something completely different."

"W-wow," I stutter, "that's honestly impressive." I raise my eyebrows as his eyes meet mine.

"I can also do small things since I've had time to hone my power, like it's easy to find people I'm familiar with in a crowded area, within a reasonable distance. As long as I can get to know the person, orient myself with their emotions, it's quite easy." He glances down at his drawing as he finishes his explanation.

"That has to be rough, feeling everything everyone else is feeling all the time. You can turn it off though, right?" I muse out loud, I can't imagine having a power that doesn't come with an 'off' switch.

"Unfortunately I can't, my family is usually pretty good at regulating the intensity of their emotions when we're gathered at home. At school though... Sitting out here alone with you during lunch is a welcome reprieve." Jasper turns back to his sketch as he admits that last tidbit of information.

"Do any of your other siblings have super powers like you?" I tease him, not ready to dive into that nugget of information about how spending time with me makes him feel.

"Rosalie and Emmett don't, neither do Carlisle and Esme. Unless you want to count the staggeringly strong self-control my adoptive father possesses." Jasper pauses, "Alice can see the future, subjectively though - she has to be searching for that person's intent and as long as they make a decision, she can see it and the immediate effects. Edward on the other hand, can-" but he's interrupted by the bell signaling the end of the lunch period.

"You're not off the hook now that you've enlightened me, I expect to finish this conversation." I tell him as I stand and meet him on the sidewalk leading towards the school building.

"I would never leave business unfinished with a lady." He says rather cheekily, trying to get a rise from me, but all it earns him is a huff of a laugh as we walk in a comfortable silence.

"Thank you for sharing that information with me, I promise not to tell anyone." I vow soberly, meeting his eyes as we stand outside of my next class.

"I was never worried." Jasper replies, backing away as students finish milling about in the hallway. "See you in History, darlin'."

•••

Reader

I could feel his eyes on me as I stood in front of my open locker, quickly shuffling through the books I needed for my last class of the day. It's almost like his gaze seemed to burn me alive as I felt it travel across my skin, the hair on the back of my neck rose due to my heightened state of awareness I had towards this gorgeous man. Does he know the effect he has? Is he even aware that I am utterly at his mercy? I hate to fall in line with all the other girls that must throw themselves at his feet, most of them much prettier than I, so why me? Why does he want to take me on a date?