Chapter Thirteen

• March 21st, 2005 • Cullen's Residence •

Reader

The soothing motion of Carlisle's car came to a gentle stop that didn't completely wake me up. But the cold arms reaching under me to lift me from the vehicle certainly did. As he began to lift me, Jasper made sure to secure the hem of my dress for my modesty causing me to smile sleepily at his thoughtfulness.

"What are you thinking about, sweetheart?" He asks quietly, speaking softly into my hairline.

"You." I blush immediately at my whispered confession, keeping my eyes closed and face buried in his shoulder.

"Mmm, I think I like sleepy Y/n." He says with a chuckle that rumbles through me.

I finally look up at our surroundings, noticing we're at his house instead of mine.

"Why-"

"Your mom isn't expecting us until tomorrow afternoon, normal people don't make a twenty-four hour drive without sleeping." Somehow he manages to open the front door without setting me down. "So, you're going to get some rest while I go for a hunt."

I blink up at him slowly as he continues his path through his house. I get another day with him? Well, however much is left once his hunger is satiated.

"My siblings are at school, Esme is redecorating with one of her clients, and Carlisle is at the hospital so the house is yours for most of the day." Jasper explains, walking down the hallway and finally into his room before returning me gently back to solid ground.

His massive king bed is as immaculately made as the first time I saw it and just as inviting. The longer I admire the fluffy black duvet and mountain of pillows, the more aware I am of all the little aches and pains sleeping in the car caused. Not to mention the lingering tenderness of my healing ribs and the other broken parts of me.

Jasper turns me to face his black gaze, "Climb in and get some sleep, Esme stocked the kitchen for you and I'll be back before you know it." It comes out almost robotic, but I see that he's trying - his hunger covers every inch of his face and keeps his body rigid.

"Take your time, I won't leave without you." I reassure him with a half smile, especially since I never made that exact promise in the hotel.

He leans in to plant a kiss to my temple before he's gone with a small breeze and a lingering coolness on my skin as the only signs he was just there. Sighing, I slide the thick drapes closed to stop the morning sun from shining through the beautiful floor-to-ceiling windows.

I stop in the doorway to his closet before reaching the bed, contemplating snooping for something more comfortable to sleep in. Would stealing a shirt be too much? We aren't even dating, but I do have permission to sleep in his bed... the dresser on the far wall tempts me forward. What's one shirt to a vampire?

Sliding open the middle drawer in search of anything comfier than a dress, a small note card is waiting on top of his neatly folded shirts:

He doesn't mind one bit.

- A

Christ, this woman thinks of everything. Grinning, I step out of my sundress and pick up a black short sleeve that's a couple sizes too big. It hits the tops of my thighs, but since I'm home alone - I don't think twice before climbing into his bed and situating myself for a much needed rest.

Inhaling the scent that's so distinctly Jasper Hale, sleep finds me easily for the first time in a very long time.

•••