Chapter Six

• March 8th, 2005 • Port Angeles, Washington •

Reader

"You guys really aren't into this, are you?" Angela says as she checks herself in the mirror with a pretty purple gown on. Jess standing on her other side in a hot pink gown with a neckline that accentuates her cleavage.

Seeing as Bella and I don't plan on attending prom, we've been assigned to be the hipe crew for the other two girls as they try on dress after dress. After a certain point they all just blend together, but I try to offer encouraging words for each one.

"We really just want to go to this bookstore," looking at me briefly she adds, "Meet you guys at the restaurant?" Bella says as we stand from our perch by the window.

"See you guys later!" I toss over my shoulder as we exit the boutique.

•••

I stand on the porch of the store, admiring the view of the sunset as Bella finishes our excursion by paying for the book.

The bell above the door dings, "Secured the package?" I ask her excitedly and she waves the book in the air in front of her before dropping it in her bag as we leave.

"I think there's a short cut to the restaurant this way." Bella suggests, pointing down some narrow stairs that lead to a dark alley between a pair of buildings.

"I'm not so sure-"

"C'mon, I'm sure it's fine." She reassures me before taking off down the ominous path.

I sigh and follow her, but as we reach the bottom of the stairs, a group of guys walk past the other end of the alley and immediately correct their course to start walking towards us. Panicking slightly, I grab Bella's sleeve and tug her towards a different path we passed a few feet back.

Coming out into an empty lot, "Hey! Where are you two going?" One of our pursuers questions with a drunken slur.

"Shit." I whisper under my breath, not letting up on the grip I have on Bella's arm.

"What's up? It's our girls from the dress shop!" Another behind us yells, boxing us in.

"Hey-whoa, where you going?"

"Come get a drink with us-" One laughs.

"Yeah, hang out with us, c'mon! What's the problem?" They taunt us, closing in.

"You're pretty." Another reaches to caress a strand of my hair, but I slap his hand away.

"Don't touch us." Bella starts panicking, flinching from their wandering hands.

"Fuck off." I shove another one trying to invade my personal space and he returns it with a slap to my cheek that stuns me for a second.

"Cute." A cocky one grabs her arm, yanking her from my grip. Bella responds by kicking him in the groin and he bends over in pain.

Seeing us not giving up easily, one of the drunker men grabs a handful of hair to hold me close as his drunk breath wafts over my face, "No need to be hostile, baby." I squeeze my eyes shut and grip the wrist attached to the hand holding my hair-

But next thing I know, a familiar silver Volvo slides aggressively to a stop a few feet from us. The two figures that emerge send a wave of calm across me that nearly has me in tears from relief.

"Let her go." Jasper's tone leaves no room for negotiation, face set in a murderous rage.

"Fuckin' take her bro." Spits the piece of shit that grabbed me and shoves me into the arms of my knight in shining armor.