Chapter Eighteen

• January 17th, 2006 • Home •

Reader

Long, cold fingers trail across my cheekbones - featherlight and almost reverent in their exploration. Cool lips brush my hairline and I can feel the smile against my skin. A grin tilts the corner of my mouth and I roll over to push my face into the hard chest at my side to just get a few more moments of sleep.

But my face didn't meet his chest, I rolled right onto a cool pillow.

I flip back over and blink at the ceiling of my bedroom. The fan begins to swim as the familiar tickle of tears threatens to bubble over the corners of my eyes, it was a dream.

Sleep used to be the reprieve from these feelings, but he's bleeding into my subconscious too. Fuck, is this just life from now on? Not only just pining after someone by day, but dreaming of him by night too?

•••

"How was your night out, sweetheart?" My mom calls as she hears me descend the stairs.

The scent of bacon and pancakes wafts down the hallway and my stomach rumbles in anticipation.

"The movie kinda sucked, but I think everyone had fun." I go for the vague answer, not wanting to scare her by trying to explain Bella's theory-on-danger test.

"Oh? What movie did you see?" Her eyebrows pinch together as she tosses the question over her shoulder.

"The new one that just came out about zombies, it had jump scares and chase scenes that had me scared out of my mind the entire time. And after the movie, Jessica went on this rant about how it might have a double meaning for leprosy, I had to fight not to laugh." Pouring two glasses of orange juice, I set the table as I explained.

"Dear Lord, I worry about that girl sometimes." Dishing food onto my plate, she pauses. "I'm glad you had a good night out."

I opt to shove food in my mouth instead of responding to her quiet comment. Halfway through my pancakes, the familiar crunch of gravel under old tires sounds from the driveway.

"Who-?" But I'm peaking through the blinds before she could finish the thought.

"It's Bella Swan." I glance at my mother with raised brows before dashing to the front door.

Swinging it open before her raised fist could knock, "What are you doing here?"

"I uh, I came by to see if you wanted to hang out at the Rez with me today? I'm going to see Jacob if you want to tag along." She toes her shoe on the corner of our welcome mat as she digs her hands in her jacket, nervous.

"Of course, let me go change! You're more than welcome to come in while you wait." I dash up the stairs before she can answer, leaving the door open for her to walk in.

"Isabella Swan! I'm so happy to see you stop by dear!" I sigh as I hear my mom's over-excited voice drift through the house.

I try to hurry and swap my sweats for jeans before my mom could drill her for more information about last night. I love the woman to death, but her middle name might as well be nosy.

Snagging my current read from my desk after tugging on my ratty pair of chucks, I rush back downstairs.

"Ready!" I call to Bella.

"Thanks for letting her hang with me, Mrs. Y/l/n." I hear Bella tell my mom before escaping the kitchen.

"Anytime dear, you hardly even have to ask." My mom winks at me from over Bella's shoulder and I roll my eyes playfully in response as we head out of the front door.