Chapter Twenty-Four

• March 20th, 2006 • Forks HS •

Reader

The weekend passed by in a blur, I spent it wishing I got more time with Jasper, but he desperately needed to hunt. So that left me with Quil, if he noticed my far-away mind, he didn't comment, the new video game he picked up Friday occupied most of his attention.

Friday. I jumped off a cliff with Bella, was rescued by Quil's ex-best friend, and then the object of my every waking thought showed up at my doorstep.

Friday was a long day, to say the least.

Which brings us to today - Monday. I have to go to school as if it were a normal fucking day, like my weekend hadn't changed the trajectory of my life. Like my other best friend isn't in Italy right now fighting to save the man she loves.

Slamming the door shut to my locker, I turn towards the direction of second period when a hulking mass at the other end of the hallway stops me short.

The blonde next to him grins, gracefully walking in my direction as if no more than the weekend had passed since I last saw them.

"Life has been rather dull without you." Rosalie brings me into a delicate hug, the smile on her face growing.

"I missed you too." The words aren't much more than a whisper and my heart twists in my chest, they're really back.

My eyes haven't left his and they're so full of sadness. The hallway empties out, but neither of us has managed to move an inch or look away.

Rose nudges me, "Go."

A simple word, but the command moves my feet. It started off as one step and then two, but then I'm halfway down the hallway in a full sprint. Emmett takes one large step and then another before I fling myself into his arms, wrapping my own tightly around his neck.

"I hate you." The words aren't true, but this ache in my chest can't be described any other way.

"I know." His words are muffled as he lifts me.

"I missed you every day." Tears well in my eyes, making it hard to see the grin splitting Rosalie's face.

"I missed you more." He argues back.

Safety, that's Emmett McCarty Cullen. He's strength and power and softness that only a man his size with his heart could exude. He is the definition of protector - someone that would go to any lengths to safeguard those closest to him. And just his hugs alone could cure anything, the hug of a brother who cares immensely.

"You left me." The tremble in my voice gives my hurting heart away.

He clears his throat, "And I put him through hell every day for it."

"He really has." Rose confirms, full on smiling at me.

Emmett sets me back down on my own two feet, holding my shoulders in his massive hands, "Never again, I can promise you that."

"Emmett-" I start, but he isn't having it.

"Nope, we're already late for class and I have some catching up to do." Winking, he offers me one arm and his mate the other, leading us in the direction of next period.

•••

• March 21st, 2006 • Home •

Reader

"Hey, you got a sec?" Knocking on the door frame to my mother's bedroom, I watch as she turns off her tv.

"For you? Always honey, c'mere." She pats the bed in front of her, her full attention making me a little nervous.