Chapter Two

Lexi

"Lex, let's go!"

I heard my best friend, Jess, yell from downstairs. We had fifteen minutes to make it to training. I finished my braid before running down to meet her. She rolled her eyes and held the door open for me.

"How do you look so perfect, just for training?" Jess rolled her eyes and laughed.

I looked down at myself. I was in black leggings, a green sports bra, and threw my hair in a braid because I didn't have time to brush it. I looked at myself in my phone camera and didn't see anything special. I shrugged.

"A lot of water. A shower helps too."

We both cracked up laughing as we walked into the meadow. We found her brother, Liam, in the middle of the group. We went to either side of him and started stretching with everyone else. Liam was a few years older than us and one of our pack's best warriors. Since I was the Alpha's daughter, nobody else really wanted to train with me. Liam never hesitated. He said he liked the challenge. We partnered together like usual and got to work.

After about two hours, we both plopped onto the ground to rest. I grabbed my water and downed it. Jess came over and sat with us.

"Lex, you could give some of the warriors a run for their money. There aren't many of them that give me that hard of a time during training."

He wiped the sweat off his face and grimaced. I looked up and saw a cut above his eye. I covered my mouth to try and hide my giggle.

"Damn bro. You let a girl kick your ass?"

Jess smiled and I couldn't contain my laughter. Liam rolled his eyes and threw his water bottle at his sister. She picked it up and proceeded to guzzle the water.

"Thanks, I really needed that. I am starving though. Anyone else want some food?"

I hopped up. My stomach was growling since I didn't eat before training. Jess and Liam hopped up and we made our way to the pack house. Their dad was our pack's Beta, so they also lived in the pack house. It made it so much easier growing up, since we wouldn't have to sneak out of the house to hang out. Our moms always say that we have been best friends since we were in the womb. We have been inseparable since birth.

Liam was just over four years older than us. At 22, he was a fine specimen to look at. With him being one of our top warriors, he was always training. He turned the heads of every she-wolf, wherever he went. His dishwater blonde hair and bright blue eyes really stood out against his sun-kissed skin. Being the son of a Beta meant he was bigger than the average male wolf. Not quite as big as an Alpha, but you could still tell that he came from a ranking family. He stood at 6 feet and 2 inches tall and was all muscle. He knew the Moon Goddess had blessed him and never missed a chance to show off. I was really surprised when he didn't find his mate once he turned 18, but I couldn't necessarily say I was sad.

The packhouse was empty, as everyone was either training, at meetings, or working. The three of us broke off to shower and change. I went to my room, went straight to the bathroom and turned the shower on full blast, letting the warm steam fill the room. I stripped off my sweaty training outfit and stepped under the blazing water. I welcomed the heat on my sore muscles. It was my favorite part of the morning. After a few more minutes of standing under the water, I quickly washed my hair and body. I turned the water off and stepped out of the shower, grabbing my towel to wrap around my body. I rang the water from my hair, deciding to let it air dry for now.

I stepped out of the bathroom, making my way to my closet when I heard a knock at my bedroom door. Before I could respond, I saw Liam's head poke in. I didn't miss the way his eyes scanned my barely covered body. I felt the heat from his gaze and couldn't help the slight shiver that went down my spine. Once his eyes made it back to mine, I could see they were almost black with lust. I bit my lower lip, trying to control myself.

"Jess threw a pizza in the oven. It should be ready soon."

He took one more agonizingly slow look at me before closing my door. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves. I walked into my closet, grabbing a pair of dark jean shorts and a teal tank top. I went back to the bathroom to run my brush through my hair and throw some mascara on. After taking a quick look in the mirror, I turned and made my way downstairs.

Jess was sitting at the counter, scrolling through her phone. Liam was pulling the pizza from the oven and the smell made my mouth water. I made my way to the fridge, grabbing a bottle of water before sitting beside Jess. I noticed her scrolling through different dresses. It reminded me that I needed to find my own dress. Our birthday was coming up and it was tradition to wear a white dress (for she-wolves) on your 18th birthday.

"Ugh, I still need to find a dress. Have you decided on the one you are going to wear?"

Jess' face immediately lit up. She loved all things fashion. I always let her do her thing on me when we needed to get glammed up. I was probably just going to let her find a dress for me. I didn't really care what it looked like. We literally only wore it for maybe 10 minutes, until we made our first shift and went for our first run in our wolf form.

"I am down to a choice of 3, but I just saw one that would be perfect for you!"

I watched as she went back up to the top of the page she was on. She handed me her phone and I saw a gorgeous white dress with lace over it. It looked like it would come to about mid-thigh on me and had skinny straps. It wasn't over the top, but just the right amount of detail. I smiled at Jess and hit the "add to cart" button. I saw a one shoulder, short sparkly dress that would be perfect for Jess before I handed her phone back to her.

"This one has your name written all over it."

I saw her slowly smile and add it to her cart. We knew each other so well. She was the sister I never had. I didn't know what I would do without her. Liam sat the pizza between us and just I was about to take a bite out of a slice, I noticed his eyes glaze over. He was receiving a mind link. Once you turned 18 and shifted into your wolf for the first time, you immediately felt the mind link line of the whole pack. After this weekend, Jess and I would be able to mind link. We couldn't wait.

"That was your dad. He wants to see us in his office."

We each grabbed another slice of pizza and headed to the Alpha office on the second floor. When we walked in, we noticed my mom and the Beta sitting in the seats in front of the desk. I was suddenly curious to why he wanted to see the three of us.

"I know that this weekend is your birthday. However, there is some serious business that needs to be taken care. We will be going to Alpha Marc's pack to discuss these rogue attacks. I have asked, and he has agreed to let us celebrate and do your first runs there. Would that be alright?"

Jess and I looked at each other and nodded. I had heard about Alpha Marc. His father retired a decade ago when Marc was 18 and handed the Alpha title over to him. His mother was still acting Luna, as he hadn't found his mate yet. He was said to be easy on the eyes, and I couldn't wait to see for myself. Plus, maybe it would widen our chances to find our mates....