Chapter Thirteen

Marc

Lexi's wolf had an idea? I was game for anything, seeing as our research this morning was a bust. Lexi looked like she was going to elaborate when Jess and Jared made their way into the kitchen. Liam rolled his eyes as he tossed a muffin to his sister.

Jess walked right up to Lexi while eating her muffin. She seemed to be observing her friend very closely. I saw her eyes flick to Lexi's neck, and I tried to muffle my laugh. Of course. Last night was our first night as mates. I glanced at her neck and noticed the fresh mark.

I looked at Jared and raised a brow. I opened the link between us.

'Wasted no time, did ya buddy?'

He shrugged and smirked as he poured a cup of coffee. I looked at the girls and noticed that their eyes were glazed over. Apparently, whatever they were talking about, they didn't want us to share. I looked at Liam and he just shrugged.

"They blocked me out."

We watched them for a few more minutes. I was getting annoyed and rolled my eyes.

"You ladies do remember that we are still here, right?"

They broke the link and started laughing. I walked around the counter to top off my coffee. I took a sip while watching the girls. Jess seemed to be encouraging Lexi to do something. I watched Jess grab Jared's hand then wave to us and she dragged him away.

"Alright. Lily says that if I let you mark me, then we can get more answers. She said to let you two mark me, then leave marking you both to her."

I could feel Max pacing excitedly in my mind at the thought of marking our mate. I was excited, too. I didn't want Lexi to feel like we needed to rush into this, though. I stand by what Liam said last night. I waited a decade for her. I can wait until she is ready.

"Little Wolf, I know we all want to know more about this. But remember, there is no need to rush this. I am sure my father could reach out to the Elders and see what they know. We want you to want to complete the bond with us because you are ready. Not because you think you need to."

I watched a small smile spread across her face. She knew I was right. She looked at Liam, who nodded in agreement. It was still early in the day, and I never did any work on the weekends unless it was absolutely necessary. I wanted to spend today with my mate. Her parents would be leaving soon, and I realized she would need to get some things from Dark River.

"Lex, your parents and Liam's parents will be leaving soon. I assume both of you, along with Jess, will want to get things from your pack to bring here?"

I couldn't help but smile at her shocked face. She clearly hadn't thought about that yet. As if on cue, Jess and both sets of parents made their way to the kitchen. I noticed Jared wasn't with them. I heard the front door open then close, and realized he must be taking their bags to the car.

I watched Liam walk over to Lexi and wrap his arm around her shoulders. I was still surprised that Max hadn't shown any signs of jealousy. I suddenly felt him move around in my mind.