Chapter 16

October 29th, 1975.

That saturday morning, Morgan was seated in Slytherin's table having breakfast. Everyone was there earlier than usual in anticipation of the Hogsmeade visit, wanting to get there as soon as possible to enjoy the chilly autumn day. The girl had Ophelia by her side, who had her boyfriend, Nott, next to her. Avery, Lestrange, and Malfoy were there as well. Morgan in the middle of them, like a queen holding court.

She had taken that week to reinstate her power in her house. After all, she was Salazar's living descendant. A coup was not a thing that was appreciated. That was what seemed to be at the horizons after all the drama and gossip about her relationship with the marauders.

Stop seeing them was not part of her comeback plan. Not at all. But people had learned that ignoring that little part of her was in their best interest if they didn't want to get on her bad side. Every time someone from Slytherin even looked at her the wrong way, she had taken care of it.

Threaten, bribe, buy out. Rinse, repeat. A Gaunt through and through.

Sometimes, that wasn't enough, and enough curses were used those days. Was that totalitarian and definitely illegal behavior? Well, yes. But she wasn't about to let anyone disrespect her like she was no one.

So, just like that, most rumors had been buried, and all traitors accounted for. She thought she could give Grindellwall a run for his money, honestly.

She wasn't really listening to the conversation going on around her, so when someone said her name, she raised a brow, silently asking the person to repeat themselves.

Rabastan rolled his eyes, "Morgan to earth, please,"

Ophelia must have kicked him under the table because he groaned and threw a grape at her face, "Leave her alone, you twat,"

Morgan let out a dry chuckle, "What is it?"

"We were just talking about today's plans," answered Avery, "What are we doing?"

They all expectedly looked at her, waiting for instructions. Which was stupid, but she'd be lying if she denied that her week of terror hadn't applied to her own friends as well. Sure, she didn't put them in the hospital wing, but a little reminder had been made.

After Rosier and his loose tongue happened, she stopped talking to him altogether. And the rest didn't know what to do. They did notice that the fact that Slytherin's princess had cast out one of their own. And the rest of the house, when they saw that, did the same. After all, no one wanted to contradict her.

So all her group was a bit more careful lately. She had let them treat her like shit and that had evolved in them thinking they could tell her what to do. She didn't need another Rosier case. So, even if it was very subtle, she let them know just that. She was very fond of them, but wouldn't be anymore if they transformed into their parents out of nowhere.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you," she popped a strawberry into her mouth, taking her time, and after a few seconds spoke again, "I'm going home,"

"Oh," Ophelia mumbled, and Morgan gave her a subtle reassuring smile, "Why? Did something happen?"

The witch waved her hand, dismissing the question, "Everything is fine. It's just that the seamstress is coming. From France, it's not like I can cancel. You know, the dress for the ball,"

No one even batted an eye at that stupid excuse because two months was a very reasonable length of time to make a dress. Especially for a ball she was hosting.

Except that her dress had been planned for weeks now, but she couldn't tell them about her real reason behind her visit home. She couldn't tell them much these days.