Chapter 48

March 7th, 1976.

Sirius had his eyes glued to the door of the great hall and he didn't bother pretending like they weren't. He just wanted to see how far Morgan Gaunt would go to avoid him. Which was ridiculous because it's not like they didn't literally live in the same place. But she had skipped all meals yesterday—Sirius hadn't missed any just in case. And if he knew her just the tiniest bit, he also knew she hadn't left Slytherin grounds at all.

Sirius wasn't surprised, he was amused actually. As mysterious and unpredictable as Morgan was if there was one thing she was consistent with was her urge to avoid problems and people that brought her said problems. Then again, she couldn't avoid him forever. She certainly tried on other occasions but failed because they shared many classes, and friends and ultimately because Sirius was not someone you could just avoid. He'd make sure of it.

Also, he knew this was happening as soon as she left his room two nights ago. He was prepared for it and knew she'd come around soon.

That was the reasonable part of his brain, that is. The unreasonable part was the one that was looking at every person who walked into the room and got disappointed every time.

"Mate, not to get you down or anything," Peter started, his mouth still half full with whatever he was eating. "I don't think she's coming,"

Sirius' head turned his way and he shrugged. "I know," he waved his hand in dismissal. "We have runes today, though,"

"And don't you think she'll skip that one?" Remus asked, his second full cup of coffee steaming in his hands.

"She could," Sirius admitted. "But then what? She'll change schools? Morgan's dramatic as fuck but I don't think it'll get that far,"

"Right," James said slowly with an amused glint in his eyes. "Because she's not the psycho who set an entire pitch on fire. Of course she wouldn't do something so basic like changing schools,"

"You're right, Prongs," Remus nodded seriously. "She'll probably just obliviate you, mate. Good luck," he told Sirius who scowled and threw a piece of toast directed at his face.

"Or kill him," Peter added. "Just saying,"

"Look, you're all overreacting," Sirius told them with a casual shrug of his shoulders. "It's not like I killed her pet or anything like that. She'll get over it and then we'll be good,"

"Sure, just answer this please," James cleared his throat and gave Sirius a pointed look. "What even is your endgame here? You two kissed, that's great. What do you want?"

Sirius stared blankly at him for a few seconds and then chuckled. "Mate, I think it's too early for the 'what are we' kinds of thoughts. She'll definitely change schools then,"

"She is kind of a bolter," Remus agreed with a shrug. "So are you, though, Pads,"

"Hey, I'm not!" Sirius defended himself. "It's one thing to never have been in a relationship because I never liked anyone that way than because I did and ran away from it,"

"Mate, what the fuck even is this conversation?" Peter mocked him.

"He is saying that he'd play boyfriend if she asked him to," James explained with an arrogant smile. "Am I right, Padfoot?"

Sirius rolled his eyes, the conversation far deviated from what it was supposed to be. "What I'm saying is nothing like that. We kissed, big deal. I'm not denying I wouldn't do it again, because I would," he glared at the three of them before they could react to his words. "But it doesn't have to mean anything,"

"Got it, but," James started again and Sirius took a deep breath to avoid punching his best friend. "Can't you have something that doesn't mean anything with literally any other girl? She's your friend too, maybe you shouldn't treat her like all the others. No offense, mate,"