Chapter 55: Hazing for the Sinners

Nhira's heart beat loudly in her heart. Her palms sweaty. But she kept a cool smile in her face, even when she faced one of her biggest fears alone.

'I thought I'd have him with me but I guess... Things don't always go the way I want it to.'

As the council meeting resumed, the room remained tense. Nhira stood firm, determined not to let her fear show. She could feel Danzo's gaze boring into her.

Tsunade cleared her throat, bringing the attention back to the matter at hand. "Now that we have welcomed Nhira to the council, we must address the critical issue of succession."

Danzo leaned forward, his voice calm and measured. "I propose that I, Danzo Shimura, take the role of Hokage. My experience and dedication to the village speak for themselves. Under my leadership, Konoha will remain strong and secure."

Tsunade's eyes narrowed, but she kept her composure. "Danzo, while your dedication is not in question, your methods often are. The position of Hokage requires more than just strength and security; it requires compassion, wisdom, and the trust of the people. I propose myself as Hokage, I admit I have not been as attentive to my duties as opposed to he desired.

I've been running for a long time. But I am ready now. In my grandfather's name, I will be a Hokage worthy of his legacy."

Danzo rose next, his demeanor calm and collected. "I have served Konoha from the shadows, ensuring its security and stability. None of you can deny it. My methods may be unconventional, but they have been effective. In these uncertain times, Konoha needs a strong hand to guide it. When I am Hokage I will protect our village from internal and external threats."

The council members exchanged glances, the weight of their decision evident on their faces. Hiashi spoke up, his voice calm but firm. "Both proposals have merit. It is clear that this decision will not be easy."

Although he did say that, for the sake of keeping the peace in his mind he could not fathom Danzo ever being Hokage. A man without honour, or sympathy much less mercy for anyone but himself. Too blinded by his ambition to realise he is not up to the task.

Nhira sat quietly, her hands clasped tightly in her lap, feeling the weight of the moment. She knew her vote could change the course of Konoha's future, and the pressure was immense. It was one of the very few reasons she actually sat at that table.

A murmur ran through the council, a mix of agreement and skepticism. Nhira could feel Danzo's eyes on her, trying to gauge her reaction. She kept her expression neutral, refusing to let him see her fear.

Hiashi Hyuga cleared his throat again, bringing the room to order. "We have heard the proposals from both candidates. It is now time to vote. Each member of the council will raise their hand for the candidate they support."

Shikaku Nara stepped forward to oversee the voting. "We'll begin with those in favor of Tsunade Senju."

Several hands went up immediately, including Shikaku's and Hiashi's. Nhira counted twelve hands in total. She could feel her heart pounding in her chest as she raised hers.

She counted five.

"Now, those in favor of Danzo Shimura," Shikaku announced.

Slowly, hands began to rise. Danzo's allies, stern-faced and resolute, showed their support. Nhira counted each one, her anxiety growing with each hand. Five.