Chapter 56: Punishment for the Innocent

A/n: My headcannon that Tsunade loves Kakashi as a son and so, well, even with the complication of Nhira's past Tsunade cares for Nhira partly because Kakashi loves her. They haven't bonded properly yet.

Danzo sat in his dimly lit office, a sinister smile creeping across his face as he reviewed the fabricated evidence before him. Some with substance of truth mixed in. Most only circumstantial. His plan to frame Kakashi was meticulously detailed, playing on the fears and uncertainties of the village.

He called for his most trusted agents, who gathered around him, awaiting orders.

“We need to spread the word that Kakashi has been using his Sharingan to influence Naruto,” Danzo began, his voice cold and calculated. “We’ll use his position as Naruto’s teacher and the incident during the Chunin Exams to bolster our claims.”

One of the agents, a sharp-eyed man with a calculating expression, nodded. Nothing but a puppet on a string. Yet, he did have his own thoughts.

'Kakashi won't know what hit him. Knock that Copy Ninja down a peg.'

Danzo smirked. “I have fabricated records and testimonies that will suggest Kakashi has been manipulating Naruto. The boy is already a wild, uncontrollable monster. We will imply that Kakashi’s influence is the reason for Naruto’s behavior and that he poses a threat to the village.

Everyone saw his performance in the Chunin exams and after the attack of the One Tailed beast it's easy to remind the villagers of how terrifying the Nine Tails still is.”

Another agent raised an eyebrow. “What about Tsunade? She won’t believe this easily.”

Danzo’s eyes narrowed. “That’s where the council and public opinion come in. Once enough doubt is cast on Kakashi, even Tsunade will have to consider the possibility. And if she doesn’t, we’ll create enough pressure to force her hand.”

The agents exchanged glances, understanding the gravity of the plan. They dispersed, ready to set the scheme in motion.

Tsunade would be forced to choose, if she protects Kakashi her only advantage of good character against Danzo would be ruined. However, if she doesn't protect Kakashi, the guilt would eat her alive and the result would be the same. She'd be known to sell out her subordinates to benefit herself.

"Let us see how you strike back against me."

Nhira’s heart raced as she ran through the village, her mind spinning. She cursed, the wind whipping her hair behind her. Wood and leaves snapping at her skin.

"Damn it.."

'I was stupid. I should've expected this.'

And she cursed herself over and over. It was her mission from the beginning and although she failed it on purpose, it's still a fact that she approached Kakashi with impure intentions.

'It's okay. There's nothing Danzo can use in all the reports I gave him. Please, please... Let Kakashi be okay.'

She burst into his house, her breath ragged.

“Kakashi!” she shouted, her voice laced with urgency.

Kakashi looked up from his book, surprise flickering in his eyes. “Nhira? What’s wrong?”