Chapter 52 Part 1: I Am My Father's Son

(A/n: I just want you to remember this particular scene from the series.)

The forest floor crunched under Kakashi's feet as he followed the faint trail left by Nhira and her companions

The forest floor crunched under Kakashi's feet as he followed the faint trail left by Nhira and her companions. Pakkun trotted silently beside him, their movements masked by the dense foliage.

Kakashi felt a pang of unease. While he didn't trust Nhira's motives completely, he certainly didn't want her killed or punished.

Finally, he decided that if it came to it he'd use whatever pull he has to push for house imprisonment. He failed to realise he had turned back into his old self.

'That way...'

Suddenly, a sharp yell pierced the silence, followed by the unmistakable clash of steel. Kakashi's heart lurched. He quickened his pace, Pakkun bounding ahead of him like a furry brown arrow.

Emerging into a clearing, Kakashi's breath hitched. The scent of blood hung heavy in the air, a metallic tang that sliced through the earthy forest musk.

It was Nhira who sent a jolt of chilling apprehension through him. Her eyes, normally pools of calm serenity, burned with a manic glint.

Kakashi's blood ran cold. The leader of the ANBU group, a man he recognized as Riko, Danzo's most loyal lieutenant, stepped forward. His voice dripped with venomous satisfaction.

"Welcome back, Autumn Demoness. It certainly took a lot to knock some sense into you."

"You mean, your entire unit? Come on, really, the elite twelve for three Succubus." She clicked her tongue, the rage subsiding and compacting enough that she could talk back to him with the same venom

"Gotta say, you should've brought more."

She stood poised over Riko, a sadistic grin splitting the Root ninja's face.

Kakashi's mind raced. He surveyed the surroundings. This was worse than he anticipated. He knew Nhira was on the brink, teetering between righteous fury and a descent into a mindless rampage. He couldn't let her cross that line. 

With a silent command, he sent Pakkun towards Nhira, hoping the loyal ninken could provide a much-needed distraction. The dog launched itself at Riko, snapping at his masked face. The Root leader cursed, momentarily distracted.

In that split second, Kakashi knew it was time. He lunged into the fray, a blur of white hair and skilled movement. His tanto flashed in the moonlight, parrying a blow aimed at Nhira.

A water whip from the shadows appeared, pulling Nhira away from them with a harsh tug. Kakashi exchanged a nod with Kallias as the injured ninja limped his way to his friend, in hopes of calming her down.