Chapter 58: Icarus's Wax Wings Melted

A/n: Not proof read. (Like most the chapters, I'm so sorry.)

It didn't take long for them all to gather, stopping because of Inoichi's information telling them to standby. This command made Kakashi antsy once more, pacing and mumbling.

He became even more agitated as he caught the conversation between Yamato and Kallias who seemed the never get along from the moment they met. Even more after the illegal mission they did together.

"Is that why you're here?" The blonde asked, smiling blandly as he stared Yamato down. "You think we can't deal with her?"

"I think," Yamato paused carefully choosing his words as he knew the rest were listening. "If the worst scenario comes none of you here will kill her."

Suddenly, Kallias laughed. Right at Yamato's face. "That's cute. If you can, I mean. You couldn't kill her when you had the chance. You certainly can't do it now, not when she's probably going to fight us with no holds barred."

Yamato sneered at the answer, he knew that fully well and yet, he looked at Kakashi and decided that as it was then, this time he was sure Kakashi would die instead.

"While we're talking about it... You're only here to cover for her anyway."

Kallias looked to Yamato, confused. He'd seen the barely hidden animosity buried underneath the stoic, black eyes of the Wood style user.

He was no fool.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"We're assuming she was forced to return to Danzo, you say it too and claim you know her best. When we have proof she went on her own."

"Oi, Tenzo, right? Atleast that's your name for now.." Kallias rose from his seat, blade playing between her s fingers. "Do you hate Little Red or something?"

Yamato grit his teeth, stepping back and putting some distance between them. "No, I despise her." Then, Kallias laughed, something almost similarly eerie as Nhira and Yamato wondered if she learned it from him or the other way around.

"Because for you, she ruined your captain." Kallias hadn't planned on dragging the miserable Kakashi into the conversation but seeing as he was already listening, Kallias opened his arms in a wide gesture.

"The great Kakashi Hatake grovelling at the feet of some no name whore. Shame on you."

Yamato's eyes widened, the way Kallias's effeminate face radiated with a darkness he'd recognised from his own dark history and then he remembered then, that the man he was speaking to was still very much a shinobi of the Root, unlike him who had taken years to 'deprogram'.

"In fact, Kakashi ruined her. He made her vulnerable and weak and look where it got us. Had she not fallen for him or if he hadn't for her, she wouldn't have fallen so far."

Yamato grit his teeth, it was a fight of subordinates defending their captains.

"The same can be true of her. She's the one who seduced him," Somehow, Yamato felt liberated to finally speak his mind. After his initial attack on her life, the friendship between him and Kakashi had all been but decimated.

Kallias scoffed, brushing his hair back. "If she succeeded with her mission, you're captain would be dead. Or worse. We won't even be having this conversation. You should be thanking her!"

"For ruining Kakashi-senpai's life!"

"She saved his life!"

A moment of silence passed through the heated moment, the man they spoke of only watched them and both of them expected him to intervene or atleast say something but Kakashi only stared at them with blank eyes.