MEETING FAMILY

Esther's pov

There was a driver waiting for me at the airport. The car ride was quiet. I looked outside through the window. There were a lot of changes. I never thought I would come back to this. There are no good memories here.

We were a happy family. Me, my dad, and my two brothers, Elijah and Eric. Being the youngest and the only girl, I felt the need for a woman in the family. My dad was always there for us, but the three of us wanted a mother in our lives.

Dad then remarried Lucy. She already had a daughter. I was the happiest among all of them, but everything changed.

I was eager to show my sister my room, Barbies, and my friends. But slowly, she took everything for herself. I saw her getting along with my brothers very well. I was happy for Elijah, and Eric loved her until they started avoiding me.

Her mother, Lucy, was a witch. She treated me like a maid. At first, I obeyed her because she was my mother. You should obey your mother's orders. Then it became too much. I had to do all the household chores before going to school. Otherwise, she wouldn't let me go to school. My uniforms were dirty from the chores, which made others look down on me. My brothers were ashamed to introduce me as their sister. But they never thought about the reason why I was always late to class.

She never let me study. When it was exam time, she would send me to babysit the neighbor's baby or make me work somewhere. Still, I managed to secure average marks. But for my dad, it was not enough.

The students thought of me as an orphan because they never attended my parents' meetings. The school knew Elijah Fortis, Eric Fortis, and their sister Sara Fortis. But they had no idea about Esther Fortis, and they never wanted to.

The car halted. I woke up from my memories. The house had not changed. It had been newly painted.

The driver opened the door for me. As expected, no one was there to receive me. It felt awkward to enter a house without its owner.

"Esther..." Lucy ran to me. She had become old but was trying too hard to look young with thick makeup.
"Esther," her daughter Sara said. Both of them looked the same.
"Where is my room?" I asked. She took a step backward. Lucy was not ready for this attitude.

I only obeyed Lucy. Not even once did I ask her any questions. Whatever she said was okay for eleven-year-old Esther.
"The second floor," she showed me my old room. I walked upstairs and reached my room. It was cleaned. Something new. It was my room, which they used as a storeroom.

"How are you?" Sara asked. Seriously, Sara? Are you mocking me?
"Three hours in the air and one hour on the road. What do you expect?" I asked as I opened my bags.
"You must be tired. Relax," they both left my room. Mr. Richard and his sons were not here. Not surprised. I am not Sara to shower me with love.

I took a long shower. It's seven now. This place already makes me suffocate. I don't have any clue how I am going to stay here.

There was a knock on the door.
"Come in." I continued to unpack.

"Esther, there are three voices." My eyes moved to the door. It was my adorable family that I wanted to avoid.

"Hi, Elijah, Eric, and Mr. Richard," I said with a surprised act. Common guys. Aren't you gonna hug me? Note the sarcasm.

"Esther, you came," Elijah asked. Of course, boy. I have the same rights as you all here.
"Never expected," I asked.
"Come, let's have dinner," Richard ordered, and he left the room with disappointment.

Is he disappointed in my arrival? Then why did he invite me?
Elijah and Eric waited a bit longer for my reaction and left the room without getting anything.

I reached the table.

Everyone was waiting for me. I sat in an empty chair. I hope everyone keeps quiet and has dinner.

"Esther, your sister's pre-engagement function is in two days," Richard said.

"Is there anything else to eat?" I asked the maid. The table is full of her favorites. The maid ran towards me with new dishes.

"I am talking to you, Esther." His voice is much harder this time.
"I heard, Richard. It is her pre-engagement in two days," I said. There is disappointment on his face.

"I expect you to call me dad," he said casually while sipping his glass of water.
"That's too much," I said casually.
"He is your father. Did you forget that?" It was my elder brother who opened his mouth.
"It is him who forgot me, his own daughter." Don't make me open the book on the first day.

"He sent you to teach a lesson. He sent you to study." Elijah was not giving up. He was shouting to reach my level. No poor thing.

"He sent me, hearing the words of others. She told you I tried to kill her, and that was enough for a dad and her two loving brothers to send an eleven-year-old girl to the streets." I am stating facts.

"That's enough. The past is past," Richard said, standing up from his chair. How can you say it so simply? It is not the past because it still haunts me.

Lucy went to her husband's side. She patted his back and helped him walk. There was no need for help, just some showoffs.

Elijah and Sara followed him and walked to their respective rooms.

"Are you happy making everyone lose their appetite?" my second brother asked. "Of course, honey, I loved it."

"If you lose your appetite just from my talk, then you will have to starve for a few days." I was sitting on the chair without moving. He stood up from his chair.

"If you don't eat , it doesn't mean I have to follow that." I was alone at the table. Who cares? I sat and swallowed all my food. They didn't come back. I should get used to it.

I closed my bedroom door. It is not easy to sleep here. But sleep took me after hours.

Don't forget to like and comment, readers.