Chapter 4 || I'll Put You In Your Place

Percy Jackson, August 18, 7:00 AM

Listen, if there's anyone who knows anything about tryouts, it's me. It's all about skill. WRONG! It's about charm. Confidence. Talking. If it's a woman, I don't even need to do the work. About 50% of the time, I can see their pupils dilating halfway across the court. Shoot some goals and watch as the ball flies so fast that it almost catches on fire? Then, you're captain for sure. If it's a guy, just act like his son. Make him want you to be his son. And if you're his potential son? Captain.

The only complication this year is a certain person after the captain title: Miss Annabeth Chase.

Now, don't get me wrong, she's pretty... I guess, but she doesn't seem like the type of person to use it. And I've lived with her for the past week. She goes to bed in a hoodie and shorts, goes to school in a hoodie or a jersey, comes back from practice in a hoodie or a jersey, and wears Adidas slides with Nike socks. Yes, I've heard her name before, and I've heard she's really good, so I respect that, but there's no fucking way she's getting the title of captain.

I started the day off with some good stretches, a workout, and a nice shower after a long run around the neighborhood. Then, I had a power meal: blue waffles, blue coke, and blue chocolate chip cookies.

"That's a healthy breakfast." Annabeth was downstairs, looking in the fridge. "We need to make a system or something for buying groceries."

I shrugged. "Fine by me." I smiled smugly. "You know, you could give up your role as captain and work as a secretary or something. Isn't chart-making your thing?"

She narrowed her eyes and smirked. "Ha! Scared that I'll actually win?"

"As if, Chase!" I returned the smirk. "I'm just trying to save you from the embarrassment when you don't win. But, if you're gonna be stubborn about it, that's your call."

"Why is your food blue?" Annabeth asked, eyeing the food. "Also, how on Earth did you manage to get blue waffles, blue chocolate chip cookies, and blue coke?"

"My mom delivered them this morning," I explained. "It's my birthday today, so she gave me some things."

Annabeth paused, staring at me awkwardly. What is she onto now? I thought, internally groaning.

"Happy birthday," she muttered, grabbing her açaí bowl from the front door as her DoorDasher arrived. "I'll try not to curse at you for today."

"You're joking," I deadpanned.

"Yeah, I was joking." Annabeth rolled her eyes. "But that's mainly your fault for being an insufferable ass."

"My ass is absolutely insufferable, I know. Tons of girls love to put their--"

"OKAY." Annabeth plugged both fingers into her ears. "It's bad enough I'm stuck with you in school, but you in a house with me is worse than staying in a prison cell."

"This might as well be a prison cell, seeing I have to be stuck with you," I retorted.

"The feeling of hatred is mutual, Jackson," Annabeth scoffed.

"Finally something we agree on," I muttered, finishing my food.

Frank Zhang, August 18, 8:15 AM

I sat at the back table, organizing the beakers correctly for the optimal performance during the lab. Chocolate brown locks and golden eyes caught my attention and I saw Hazel walking into class. She had somehow been able to sneak around the whole house for the week without gaining any attention, which I actually admired.

Note to self: Ask Hazel how the hell she's managed to get in and out of the house without being noticed. I've been asked way too many times to check Piper's hair from the rearview angle. Who the fuck views their hair in angles?!