Chapter 22 || The Lovebird

Annabeth Chase, October 4, 12:45 PM

"He's with who?" I spluttered.

"Calypso." Piper scrolled through her feed. "Damn, and it looks like they're having a good time together. She's laughing. Like, legit laughing."

I sighed and stood up, our gel mani-pedis finished. We headed to the locker room, where we untied our robes, got changed back into our regular clothes, and picked up the nice goodie bags before we checked out and left.

"That was really relaxing," Piper sighed. "Oh, look at you, Annabeth! You're practically glowing. Where do you wanna go next? No sports." She shot me a glare.

"No mall," I retorted, smirking at her annoyed expression. "Let's just get some lunch first. Then, we can sort the rest of our plans out."

"Sounds good to me," Piper said as we got into her car. "But seriously, Annabeth. Look at yourself in the mirror. I hope this convinces you to pamper yourself more often."

I frowned and slid the mirror on the visor open. My eyes widened as I stared at myself. My skin was glowing and it looked even more hydrated than before. My shoulders weren't as tense and that weird pain in my neck and lower back were all gone. And my nails were simple, red-tipped French nails, but they looked cleaner and glossier than ever.

"Um..." I stuttered. "I... uh... wow."

"Speechless!" Piper sang. "I don't care if you try to protest and cover your satisfaction up with a 'that's too frufru' for me! We're doing this every month!"

"Every month?" My eyes widened. "Pipes, do you realize how expensive spa treatments are?"

She stopped at a stoplight and raised an eyebrow. "Do you know how relaxing pampering can be?"

"Do you know how not-worth-it it might be?"

"Do you know how much money my daddy makes?" Piper smirked deviously. "Plus, I own a handmade jewelry business and a modeling career. You win money for your sports competitions and you've won tons of championships in the past, too. I think we have enough money to afford a little girl-time, Annabeth."

That was right. Her father was Tristan McLean. The Tristan McLean. While she doesn't pride herself on using her father's name to make it big, and preferred to make it big on her own, she did play that card sometimes. And her father would gladly spoil her rotten if she chose to be a bratty bitch like Matilda.

"Fine." I rolled my eyes. I hated to admit it, but being at a spa wasn't so bad after all.

Frank Zhang, October 4, 1:45 PM

"So is this what I brought the picnic blanket for?" I asked, setting the basket down on the grass.

Hazel nodded, her cheeks catching the sunlight. She looked so adorable as she spread out the picnic blanket and casually nuzzled a baby duck as it waddled near. She gave it a little nut to chew on and motioned for me to sit down next to her on the picnic blanket.

"I thought a nice little picnic would be nice, considering how much walking we did today," Hazel said. "Thanks for coming with me."

I stared at the seemingly heavenly sanctuary. "You come here... alone?"

She nodded in reply. "I didn't really have many friends who enjoy nature walks. This is the first one I've had with a friend. Well, unless you count these adorable ducks as my friends. I'm probably the only person that comes here, which is why they recognize me."

"Wow..." I breathed, watching as she brought out some rice and sunflower seeds, placing them in little piles by the lake.

The ducks flocked over to the piles, beginning to nibble away at them. She smiled. It was soft and sweet, yet genuine and happy. She was beautiful. Hazel sat back down on the picnic blanket and we took out the salad, two cupcakes, and two sandwiches from a nearby mom and pop shop.