Chapter 30 || The Gang's Broken Up

Piper McLean, October 8, 11:00 PM

"Percy, what the fuck was that?" I asked out of my window.

He looked up, startled. "The fuck, Piper? Did you... hear everything?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Enough to know that you guys have kissed before, didn't tell me, and now you're mad at each other for no good reason."

"You call that no good reason?" Percy scoffed, heading for the front door. "I can kiss whoever the hell I want. She doesn't get a say in that. We agreed to forget about it."

"Yet you kissed her in the closet?" I ran to the front door and threw the door open. "Percy Jackson, if you guys were going to forget about it, why kiss her and make her remember?"

Percy glared at me. "Who says you get a say in this, Piper McLean? You're not the love guru. And we were just playing around! She agreed!"

Did this airhead really think that Annabeth thought they were playing around? "Do you think that? Really? Listen, you can play around with whoever you want, but you do not play around with my best friend," I seethed

"Oh, yeah?" Percy chuckled. "Why is that? You think I actually care about her?"

"YES!" I groaned, balling my fists. "I know you care about her!"

"I cared about Calypso," Percy sneered. "But I wasn't mad when she went to fuck around with other guys. That's her choice."

"You guys weren't dating," I stated obviously.

"Well, neither are me and Annabeth!" Percy exclaimed. "We're friends! Actually, I don't even think we're friends anymore!"

"And do you think a steamy closet kiss and a lakeside kiss is gonna just slip by your friendship? It's either you make out or you don't!" I shouted. Please say you'll make out. I need Percabeth to happen.

"She seemed fine with it!" Percy snapped. "And I was fine with it! Does that matter to you at all? How I feel about all this? That I want to kick myself for how she feels right now but at the same time, she doesn't care? That I regret kissing her by the lake?! If I hadn't, would any of this even be happening?! YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT MY KISS WITH MINNIE BECAUSE YOUR BEST FRIEND ALSO KISSED ME BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I BELONG TO HER! ANNABETH ISN'T A SAINT FOR GOD'S SAKE!"

"What's all this fighting about?" Jason ran down the stairs and I couldn't help but exploding.

I knew Percy was right. Annabeth wasn't a saint but neither was Percy. The worst part was that they were practically the same person; both too stubborn to admit the other was right, both having the same points. But I cared about Annabeth's feelings. And she wasn't one to show emotions. She was a big girl.

"SHE ISN'T, BUT YOU AREN'T EITHER! AND YES, I'M MAD THAT YOU KISSED SOMEONE AFTER KISSING HER! YOU BASICALLY STOLE HER FIRST KISS!" I screamed.

"Guys, cut it out!" Frank yelled helplessly.

"THE FUCK, PIPER?!" Percy groaned. "IT WAS HER CHOICE! SHE DIDN'T STOP ME! AND IF SHE DID, I WOULD'VE STOPPED!"

I scoffed. "SHE CAN'T HELP THE FACT THAT YOU MAKE HER FEEL A CERTAIN WAY!"

"GUYS!" Hazel shrieked.

"GET RID OF YOUR FUCKING FANTASIES, PIPER!" Percy shouted. "WHATEVER SHIP YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT WON'T HAPPEN! THE CLOSEST WE EVER GOT WAS FRIENDS, BUT WE'RE NOT FRIENDS NOW! YOU CAN'T FUCKING CONTROL MY FUCKING LIFE!"

I stood there, watching him slam the door. The rumble of his car was heard behind the door and I groaned, pressing my face into my hands. He was right, but I was right, too. Annabeth couldn't control his life, and neither could I. Percy could kiss whoever the hell he wanted. They weren't friends anymore, and by the looks of it, Percy wouldn't be my friend either.

Leo Valdez, October 9, 8:00 AM

When I got to school, something felt different. I was talking to Calypso, who was walking with me into school. For a McShizzle like me, that was an accomplishment. But there wasn't the usual group by Percy's locker for me to look at.

"One second, Calypso," I said, leaving her by the lockers.

I gathered up the courage and walked up to the jocks, who all stared at me questionably. "Uh... have you guys seen Percy, Annabeth, Hazel, Piper, Frank, or Jason anywhere?" I asked.

Beckendorf held back one of the jocks as they stormed forward. "Hey... man. Uh, we should be asking you that same question. We don't really know Hazel, Piper, Frank, or Jason, but Annabeth and Percy are both missing."

Missing? "W-What?" My eyes widened. "They're missing? What happened?"

"We don't know. That's why we were going to ask you," Travis said.

"M-Me?" I stared at them. "Why me?"

"You and Percy got pretty close this year, huh?" Connor eyed Calypso, who was now talking to some girls on the other side of the hall. "Close enough for you to start flirting with his date."

"But... she was just a fuck-buddy, right?" I squeaked.

"Are you calling Percy a fuckboy?" Josh pushed his way forward.

Yes. "N-No! I'm just worried for him and Annabeth."

"Don't worry about them. They're tough. Both of them," Kayla said sternly. "Wherever they are, they're safe."

"You're telling me," Travis chuckled. "Annabeth almost killed me and Connor after we pranked her last month. And Percy almost killed the both of us with a flaming soccer ball."

"Hey, Leo," Calypso said, jogging over. "You ready for class?"

The jocks all glared at both of us before turning away. I followed her half-hearted to Chemistry class. Piper, Jason, Frank, and Hazel all seemed to be turning away from each other. Well, Frank and Hazel were still together like two peas in a pod. I glanced over, curious. What even happened?

"Percy Jackson!" the teacher called.

Piper shot Jason and Frank a glare, who returned the glare. Okay, something fishy is going on.

"Annabeth Chase!"

Another glaring session. At this point, the entire class was picking up on the tension.

"Are they okay?" Calypso asked, but not quiet enough that Piper didn't hear her.

Upon seeing Calypso, Piper's eyes hardened into orbs of steel and she shot a death glare at us. She turned back around to focus on the class, her pencil scribbling so hard that it was basically a dagger cutting across paper.

The minute class was over, I grabbed her by the arm. "Piper, what's going on? What's wrong with you? Where are Annabeth and Percy--"

"There was a fight last night," Piper said, cutting me off. "Percy and Annabeth both ran off and after they did, we all had arguments about who we agreed with. Sorry, Leo, but I don't think any of us are gonna be sitting together at all at lunch. Sit with... Calypso." She said the name with such disgust, I almost questioned if she had any problems with her.

"But Calypso sits with all the pretty girls!" I protested.

"Well, deal with it!" Piper snapped before covering her mouth. "I'm sorry, Leo. I just can't do this."