Chapter 6 || Deadly Combo

Annabeth Chase, August 25, 6:00 AM

I slipped out of bed and brushed my teeth, washed my face, and applied some SPF. With a quick curl of my lashes and a swipe of mascara and lip balm, I packed my bags. Throwing on a jersey and shorts, I quickly ran down the stairs and grabbed a light breakfast, before running to my car. I decided to head to the field, since I woke up with a lot of energy that I needed to get out of me pronto.

But, apparently, I wasn't the only person who was thinking that.

Percy Jackson.

I watched as another one of his soccer balls soared into the goal. I guess he was decent enough. Fine. He was great. He didn't really seem to notice that I had gotten onto the field, so I just grabbed a few soccer balls, lined them up, and began to kick them, one by one, switching up how I shot them every time.

As I practiced, I could feel the pre-game adrenaline. It's the best kind. Not the type when you're going to debate, but the type when you just know something great is gonna happen. I balanced a soccer ball on my head before kicking up and over my head, letting the ball soar into the hoop.

Success! I couldn't help but pump my fist in the air. I had been working on that trick shot for a while now.

"Nice," I heard someone say behind me. I whipped around to see Percy behind me, eyeing the ball I had just shot into the goal. "For a newbie, that is."

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes. "You know I'm not a newbie. And, even if I was, I'd be better than you, you insufferable ass."

He smirked. "I never really identified what I was talking about, Chase. But, on the topic, if you're not a newbie, then what's your bodycount?"

"Oh, fuck you," I grumbled, sticking out my right middle finger. "Does every lame joke you make have to be about sex? Can't you joke about something else that I haven't done--oh, wait. I've probably done more things than you." I returned the cheeky grin.

"I highly doubt that," Percy replied. "And starting Friday, I'll have one more thing to hold over your head: My team's gonna win the start-of-school relay."

I rolled my eyes. "Your team? More like my team."

"Is your team every one of the most athletic people in the school, including me?" Percy raised an eyebrow. "That's what I thought." He put away the soccer balls on his side of the field and started walking toward the boys locker rooms. "Fuck you, later, Chase."

"That's very suggestive, but I know what you mean," I replied.

"Did I ask?" Percy raised an eyebrow, smirking. "You can interpret it however you want."

That. Little. Bitch. 

As I put the rest of the soccer balls away and locked the ball shed, I had to admit... he was somewhat right. His team of players, if he truly had all the most athletic people in the school on his team, he would win. Even if I went with a mediocre athlete, I would lose. I was only half their potential, and with Percy on the team, I hated to admit it, but he was probably just as good as me.

For once, I had an even rival.

Rival? my mind whispered as I shoved the door to the girls locker room open.

Leo Valdez, August 25, 12:00 PM

I grabbed my lunch tray and headed to an empty table, sitting down and pulling out my phone. Lunch has always been quiet. But it's not bad because I've never had to deal with bullies or anything like that. Everyone just leaves me alone.

"H-Hi, can I sit here?" a quiet voice said from my left and I looked up to see Hazel, lunch tray in hand.

Okay, that's the first time anyone's ever asked to sit next to me before...