Chapter 5 || Icebreakers. Want one?

Jason Grace, August 20, 4:00 PM

"Do you want a ride?" I asked Leo as we got to the parking lot. "We could do the project at my place, since yours is so far away."

Leo shrugged awkwardly. "Sure. Yeah, my house is in the city, so it's a bit far. The traffic also gets heavy around 3."

I shot him a smile as he climbed in the passenger seat. Leo and I were paired up for our project in Journalism, which was taught by Mr. Blofis. He wasn't bad at all. Actually, the project was a video in which we would take turns interviewing each other to create profiles, and he was kind enough to explain that since the code of ethics for Journalism was to tell the truth and only the truth, he wouldn't display the videos up on the board.

I decided to break the silence. "Do you have any plans for the weekend?"

Leo shook his head, grinning. "Nope. You're looking at a Grade A lonely kid at Goode. No friends to hang out with on the weekends."

God, why does he look so happy when he says that? I thought, staring at the pearly white grin on his face. And how the hell does this kid have no friends?

"You don't have any friends?" I asked, still not believing him.

"Unless you count my robots," Leo said. Oh, no, here comes the geek inside of him... "I named one Patrick, the other Suzy--oh, Suzy's my dream girlfriend if she was a robot--and I have one more named Peter."

"You name your robots?"

Leo nodded. "Yup! What about you? What plans do you have this weekend?"

I shrugged. "There's a concert in the stadium, so me and my friends are gonna go there and see the band that's playing. Maybe, we'll pick up a few riffs."

We pulled up at the house and Leo's eyes widened. "Whoa... You live here?" He eyed the other cars in the driveway. "Big family."

I opened the door to the house, a bit sheepish. "Well, not really family."

I saw Piper on the couch with a few of her friends, who stared at me questionably when I stepped inside. 

"Hey, Piper," I called to her. "Have you seen the others?"

Piper looked up from her phone and smiled at me. "Hey, Jason. Uh, Frank and Hazel are in their rooms. And Annabeth and Percy are at volleyball and soccer practice." She snickered lightly at that last part before glancing at Leo. "Who's that?"

I glanced at Leo, who was waving excitedly at her. "Oh, this is Leo. He's my partner for some Journalism project Mr. Blofis is making us do. Speaking of which, we should get to it. See you... sometime?"

Piper nodded, her hair shining in the sunlight. She is obsessed with fashion and beauty, but damn she's good at it. "See you sometime."

We headed up to my room and I set my bags down, flopping on the bed.

"Whoa..." Leo said, closing the door behind him. "You live with them? But you guys barely talk to each other at school!"

"Our schools sent us to Goode, so they partnered and made six of their students stay in a dorm house. We actually barely know each other," I chuckled. "I haven't talked to most of them."

Leo frowned. "Why not? You guys live together for fuck's sake! Get to know one another!"

I shook my head, chuckling. "Let's get started."

Hazel Levesque, August 20, 5:00 PM

I sat in the kitchen, which was empty. The only person in the same relative area was Piper, whose friends had gone. She was probably scrolling through Instagram or something. I giggled quietly, imagining what her posts were like. I hadn't followed her on social media yet, so I wouldn't know.