Chapter 15 || Round One: Crystal High

Annabeth Chase, September 12, 4:00 PM

The bus rolled to a stop and I glanced at Percy, who was next to me.

"Ready to pep talk the shit out of these guys?" I winked.

He smirked. "You're on, Chase."

"Listen up, guys!" I hollered over their excited chatter. "Now, since Crystal High was where I used to go, I felt it was fitting that I give you guys a proper pep-talk--"

"With me as the awesome, amazing, superior--" Percy started, but I clamped a hand over his mouth.

"Crystal High has always been strong in arts, but sports? That was me." I smirked. "I have no clue what they're doing with their sports now, but either way, we're gonna kick ass. You've got me, and this annoying little shit right here." I elbowed Percy, smiling. "And you're all a badass team! Whether they like it or not, Crystal High's going down!"

"Also, we are like 20% cooler than everyone here at this school, so like..." Percy cleared his throat. "We've got this in the bag."

I rolled my eyes. "Let's go show them what Goode is made of!"

_____

I bumped another ball up. "Come on, guys! Reps! Reps!"

I heard giggling from my left and rolled my eyes to see half their team giggling and twirling pieces of hair around their fingers. Guess who they were looking at? You don't even need to guess. Percy Jackson. I shrugged, glancing briefly over at him. He did look pretty hot in a volleyball uniform. I got distracted momentarily. God, Annabeth, shut up. You're getting soft.

"Annabeth!" I turned to see Silena rushing forward, cheer costume on.

"Silena!" I laughed, giving her a bear hug. "How are you?"

"Our volleyball team's a disaster," she hissed. "Without you, we barely even function. Drew took over--"

"OH, OF COURSE SHE DID!" I groaned, making some people look over at me. "I mean, of course, she decided to captain the volleyball team. You do realize she's doing it for the spandex, right?"

Silena glanced over at Drew's too-short shorts. "Ouch. I can see the edge of her panties. At least wear a thong if you're gonna wear those things."

I winced, looking away. "Ooooor... not."

"Gotta go to cheer practice, but I wanted to drop in and say hi." Silena's eyes suddenly flickered over to Percy. "Who's that?"

Immediately, my mouth acted on its own. "No one! Don't look at him!"

She raised an eyebrow at me, a little smirk tugging on the corner of her lips. "Don't worry, Beth. I'm not here to take your boyfriend away from you. But you will have to spill the tea to me over FaceTime sometime."

My eyes widened. "Wha--Silena!"

"Bye!" She grinned cheekily before running out of the gym.

Jason Grace, September 12, 4:30 PM

Why did I come here? I groaned, staring at Annabeth and Percy as they huddled the group again, doing another Goode chant. It's not like they needed it or anything. They were already WAY ahead of Crystal High. Like, Annabeth and Percy were literally ending lives.

"Isn't this exciting?" Leo whispered, bouncing slightly in his seat. "I've had so many pre-game Skittles! I can't feel my stomach! Jason, let's never ever ever sleep again!"

I stared at him. "Leo... How many boxes of candy did you have?"

"ELEVEN!" Leo almost fell out of his seat, but I pulled him back up.