Chapter 14 || Your Conceited Ass

Percy Jackson, September 9, 12:00 PM

"Oh, come on!" I groaned, checking my email.

Hey Percy and Annabeth, hope you guys are excited for our next two volleyball games! The first game will be against Crystal High, and the winner of that game will face-off against Coastline High! Our first game against Crystal High will be an away-game and will be on Monday. Hope you guys will train our team to win these games! And please don't ask for more soccer balls because I've spent too much money on the food staff already. Best, Principal Sassan.

"Crystal High?" Annabeth raised an eyebrow, taking another bite of salad.

Piper shrugged, examining her nails. "Well, they've lost the captain of their volleyball team this year. And for Coastline, they've also lost their volleyball captain."

At least you'll see Luke again. I was positive he took over the position of captain when I had left for Goode. My eyes widened. I'd see Luke again. Now, I have to win. Wait. No. I always have to win.

"Yeah, but the volleyball captain that took over Coastline's gotta be good," I explained. "I don't know who's on the team this year, but I know the guy who probably took captain."

"And Crystal High is definitely out," Piper cut in before Annabeth could say anything. "They lost Annabeth. Who are they asking next? Drew?"

"Drew's looking to be the head of the cheer squad, which isn't happening, because Silena's the captain of the cheers squad. She's not captaining the volleyball team," Annabeth sighed, finishing her food. "I have no idea who's captaining them."

"Well, you're gonna win, right?" Frank asked. "I mean, both of you are crazy good at everything except getting along."

Hazel bumped him in the arm, a quiet, angelic snicker escaping her throat. "Ouch, Frankie."

"Frankie?" I raised an eyebrow at her, a smirk spreading along my lips.

Her cheeks flushed and she glared at me, crossing her arms in a cute way. Piper and I exchanged a glance of mischief.

"What's your pet name for Hazel, Frank? Hazzie? Because that's not really catchy," Piper added, resting her chin against her right palm.

"Y'all are evil," Jason chuckled. "Isn't that right, Annabeth?"

I shot her a 'don't you dare mess up this amazing mood' look and she rolled her eyes. She shrugged, copying Piper's pose. "Fuck yeah, we're evil. That's because the truth is pretty evil, too. So is love. Everything is evil--"

"Emo!" Leo hissed and Annabeth slapped him on the arm.

"Leo, I am anything but emo," she snapped back. "That's for Hazel, not me."

Hazel's eyes widened and she said nothing, just shrugging and continuing to eat her food. Aaaand the winner of the quiet game is Hazel Levesque. No doubt she was good at that game when she was a kid. We all stood from our table and emptied our trays in the trash cans before dropping the dishes off on the counter.

"I honestly don't know why Miss Fitzergald is making us do a Chemistry Project on top of our sports schedules," I muttered to Annabeth.

"I think it's her personal way of punishing us. She's just sour that Principal Sassan thinks she's a middle-aged bitchy cry-baby and can't take the hint that she needs to go get her nails redone or some shit," she replied. "Just watch her separate us this class."

To our surprise, Miss Fitzergald hadn't done anything about the seating arrangement. I frowned, taking my usual seat, Annabeth sliding in next to me.

"Damn, I was hoping she'd save me from your ugly face," I whispered.