6. Sweet Tooth

"Pope!" Aislynn declared. 

"Aislynn," Pope remarked hugging her.

"You need a bath." Aislynn corrected as he kissed the corner of her lips.

"Thanks for getting me out." Pope said as she led him from the cells. It was the perfect distraction, Daemon coming home for Aislynn to release Andrew Pope Cody from the black cells of the castle. On the queens orders of course. 

"I'm sorry Alicent isnt as persuasive as me." Aislynn countered. "You do okay in there?"

"Didn't become anyones bitch if that's what you mean." Pope assured.

"Come on, bath and celebrate, the festival is going on this week, let me take you out." Aislynn requested.

"You joining me for that bath?" Pope pondered but he smelled food when they got to the upper level, he looked around the gardens seeing the festivities. "Has the party already begun?" 

"Come on, lets get you something to eat." Aislynn remarked linking her arm with his. Pope was known to be an odd ball, known to be a little off hinged but Aislynn knew how to keep him in check. 

"Quite the sweet tooth you have Aislynn." she turned around licking the glaze from her lips. Daemon ran his finger along her bottom lip before sucking the residue from his finger and damn if that wasnt just about the sexiest thing Aislynn had ever seen. Daemon smirked heading off and Aislynn's gaze followed him. 

"What was that?" Pope demanded. 

"Daemon, dont worry, he's a dick." Aislynn assured. "Cookie?" 

Daemon stood basking in the sun when Rhaenyra found him.

"You seemed so content on Dragonstone.' She remarked. 'Why did you come back?' he opened his eyes and looked down at her. 'There is surely more to your return than simply taunting my father.' She remarked. 'So... what do you want?' Rhaenyra questioned.

"Didnt look like nothing." Pope countered as he piled his plate up. 

"I need a plan B." Aislynn offered. 

"What did I miss while in there?" 

"Alicent had another child and I'm worried for her sanity, I worry Rhaenyra is going to stab her in the back again... I never used to be a this much of a worry wort." Aislynn admitted. 

'Only the comforts of home.' Daemon assured as he moved to a buffet line and started picking at the food. He glanced at Pope and Aislynn, Aislynn's words fell from her lips seeing Rhaenyra. Alicent could be bamboozled for now but Aislynn didnt buy Rhaenyra's kindness. 

'I had not thought you particularly comfortable in this home. Though I do suppose you seem changed by your adventures. More mature, perhaps.' Rhaenyra offered sparing Aislynn a glance. 

''You've matured yourself these last four years, Princess.' Daemon told her 'You'll get used to the attention.' Aislynn noticed Daemon's gaze and peered out, looking past Rhaenyra.

'The attention I can endure. It's the rest I could do without. My father seems content to sell me off to whichever lord has the biggest castle.' Rhaenyra corrected.

'There are worse things to be sold for.' Daemon remarked sitting down. "marriage is only a political arrangement.' He informed her. "Once you are wed you can do as you like. You as well little Hightower."

"I already do as I like." Aislynn corrected. "I'm no ones property." Daemon hummed as he took a sip of his wine. Pope smiled putting a possessive and protective hand on Aislynn's back. 

''For men marriage might be a political arrangement.' Rhaenyra corrected 'but for women it is like a death sentence.''

"It can be... not always for the women though." Aislynn agreed as she pulled Pope along. Rhaenyra's gaze stuck on Pope a moment longer. Who was that man? He didnt look like a nobel, he looked plucked from the streets with his dirty clothes and rags. 

'Would that it were. I would have been rid of my bronze bitch ages ago.' Daemon told her. He handed over his glass, she looked down at it.

"Your wife has been fortunate,' she remarked taking a drink and Daemon chuckled 'you have not put a child in her.'

'Oh...' Daemon mused. 'I doubt a child would grow in such a hostile environment.' He mused and Aislynn chuckled thinking the same of Rhaenyra moons ago.

'My mother was made to produce heirs until it killed her.' Rhaenyra reminded him. "I wont subject myself to the same.'

'What happened to your mother was a tragedy.' Daemon confirmed. 'But this is a tragic world. You cannot live your life in hear or you will forsake the best parts of it.' Daemon told her confidently.

"I have no desire to live in fear. Only solitude.' Rhaenyra corrected.

'Such a lonely prospect.'

+

''The Step stones were meant to be won for the realm, but over the past few days, it seems we have traded a crabfeeder for a sea snake. This is clearly a rebuke for passing over Lady Laena for Queen Alicent.' Tyland Lannister remarked as the council listened intently.

'Years have passed since the business with his daughter. Certainly, he cannot still be wrathful?' Viserys pondered

'The Sea Snake is an over-proud man, to be sure, Your Grace. That pride has been injured. Perhaps we can salve the wound?'' Lyonel suggested. 

''I fear Lord Corlys's pride is the least of our worries. I don't wish to cause you further distress, Your Grace, but my brother has sent disturbing word from Old town." Otto corrected. "Lord Corlys is said to have engaged in negotiations with the Sea lord of Braavos. He plans to wed his daughter Laena to the Sealord's son. If House Velaryon entered into an alliance with the Free Cities... then... we would have to seek our own marriage pact.' Otto informed them all. Viserys knew what this mean and all eyes turned to Rhaenyra.

+

"She wants something I dont know what she wants!" Alicent declared through an exasperated breath.

"Let me take her. Maybe some fresh air will be good." Aislynn offered.

"Thank you Lynnie."

"Get some rest." Aislynn assured. "I got her."

"All bathed, ready for the fun." Pope remarked. "Thanks for the clothes, Aislynn." 

"You look so handsome cleaned up." Aislynn remarked running a hand through his hair, he smiled down at her. 

"You on baby duty? This the new one?" Pope questioned taking her carefully from Aislynn.

"Helaena." Aislynn agreed. "Ali is not a baby person yet, she is herself a child, I understand." Pope had such a gentle touch, Aislynn smiled leaning into him. "You with a baby really does things to me." Aislynn whispered. Pope rose a brow, shifting Helaena in his arms. 

'Good night, Ser Criston.' Rhaenyra said as she retired for the night, she heard the cries of Alicent's new daughter, her screams echoed, before her babbles bounced down the hall.

'Sleep well, Princess.' She closed the door only to see a bag in her room, she dumped out the contents and it revealed dirty clothes, rags really and a scroll. She opened it up and it wasn't a note but a map. She looked at the wall paneling. She pushed the bench away and a hidden passageway opened up she stumbled in.

' Whoa!' she said breathlessly as she looked down at the staircase. She changed into the clothes following the passageway she wasn't surprised to see Daemon waiting for her. he grabbed her hand leading her down the steps.

'Where are we going?' she questioned as they wandered through the streets, Rhaenyra had never been out after dark, not like this. She was surprised and amazed at everything and everyone. She got to be no one.