"Dad," tears rushed down cheeks, with a thumb he wiped a cheek

"Dad," tears rushed down cheeks, with a thumb he wiped a cheek. His arms provided me the comfort and security my soul was craving for.

He shook his head, "hoon na main kya, ab rone ki kya zaroorat hai?"

("Now since, I am here, you do not need to cry.")

"How are you dad?"

His lips formed into a smile, "my sweetheart, I am good. Are you okay?"

"I am," he cupped my cheeks and planted a kiss on my head. My smile dropped, from the corner of my eyes, I saw his wife. The woman, who left no stone unturned to hurt me. She flashed a grimace, my eyes narrowed. As if dad read my emotions, he looked at the sight of my focus.

Onyx eyes turned guilty, he blinked furiously, "dad, please don't think about it," my head bobbled negativity.

It was a week of spring. Warm and peaceful. I never knew it turn cold and ugly soon. It had hardly been a week since my fifth birthday. My cousins and I were engaged in some doll game, which made a lot of sense to our tiny selves.

When Ahana dropped the cup water, which worked as a streaming cup of tea for our younger selves, chided by our cousin Kairav, the former left the room to get another glass of water. Sooner than ever, her playful happy sheiks echoed in the stairs. The rest of us, with confusion apparent on our faces, looked at one and other.

"Rohan uncle has come with our new aunt," Ahana kicked her tiny feet in the air, her hands jiggled, happiness and excitement radiated from every inch of her body.

My heart as of halted. The world around me spun, her words resonated in my ears. They were talking, I couldn't comprehend even a word. New aunt- it meant my mother?

My lips curved in to a smile, my cheeks began to hurt. Finally, I was having a person called mother, in my life.

I stood up, running and tripping down the stairs. My happiness knew no limits. I was glad, now I wouldn't be pitied and sympathised as, "bin maa ki baachi hai," or "maa nahi hai na ladki ki," those words which were uttered out of sympathy, little did the people knew, these words didn't fail to make me realise how unlucky I was.

That was going to change. I would get a mother. My heart swelled with happiness.

("The child has no mother." "The child's mother has died.")

My feet stopped outside of grandfather's room. Yells and shouts, my heart shuddered. I pecked my head inside, my grandfather and dad put an end to their fight. Giving me a smile, I took that as cue to enter inside.

My sight searched for my mother. A black silk saree draped around her body, her gorgeous hair, and pretty face, she sat next to my dad. I was elated. My shyness took over, I ran to dad, settling me on his lap, I again looked around. Brows narrowed, when a boy around a couple of years older to me was found next to my new mother.