Rose gloss spread neatly across her moderately, natural plump lips

Rose gloss spread neatly across her moderately, natural plump lips. Smacking it together, she set the shiny substance. Oxidised jhumkas dangled, small bells attached to it, clinked, producing a melodious sound. She draped her mother's kalamkari scarf, its pale pink complemented her undertone. She looked like her mother in her twenties. Unknown to herself, her heart hope she didn't carry the same fate as her.

Knocks on the door clouded her mind, "I am coming," She muttered, heart thudded loudly in her chest.

"Hurry up Niharika, your grandfather is waiting in the car." Her mother chided her out of the room.

"Oh heavens! Look at this princess here, my child you look beautiful." Her father opened his arms, like a toddler seeing their parent after school, Niharika jumped into his arms, "I can't believe we going to see a potential match for you, yesterday you held my finger into your whole palm and today-"

Her sister shook her head, taking a seat on a cushion place on the floor, "Baba! Didi is not leaving our house today, we're just going to see their son."

A finger flicked away a stray tear off Niharika's face, "Don't cry beta," Her father shook his head, "you will never truly leave this house."

Grandmother poured warm oil into her palms, rubbing it together, she massaged her younger granddaughter's head, "kitni pyaari lag rahi hai humari gudiya, Neelima nazar utar dena iski," her eyes crinkled at her children.

(Our daughter is look pretty, ward evil eye off her,)

"Ji maa."

("Yes, mother")

"We should leave now," her father fished out a kerchief, wiped the corners of his eyes.

Their drive of twenty minutes halted at the destination. Niharika's heart thudded. She knew the Singhania's had two sons who were bachelors. She didn't know which one she'd marry to.

"Niharika beta, Singhania Sahab aur humari dosti ke karan aaj yeh rishte ke liye hum aayein hain, lekin haan tabhi hogi jab tumhe aur humein unka beta pasand aayega," Her grandfather spoke, his voice raspy.

("Dear, we are going for this alliance only due to the friendship between the Singhanias and us. However, the wedding will only take place when you will like their son,")

Niharika nodded, "ji dadaji." She smiled at her family, she wanted to ask which son would she be marrying when they reached the hall, saw many unfamiliar faces.

("Yes, Grandfather,")

Grey shirt, black trousers and coat, the guy seemed alright to her. Her heart knew this wasn't her soulmate. She just knew. She had read how heart flutters inside the jail of the ribcage and butterflies swim in the ocean of nerves called the stomach.

She knew unfortunately, the adrenaline rush and giddy feels are not the true. She believed no person can make her feel so.

Clammy hands held the gold plated saucer, she took a sip of tea, little unsweetened for her liking.