Nine

"Are you leaving me?"
"No Shane I'm not but we need to think of a plan because Nicole clearly isn't coping with me being with you. Maybe I should find my own place"
"No! I want you to stay with me"
"I want to stay with you too but maybe it's too much for her at the moment. Maybe creating that space will help her to see that I'm not trying to take over from her mum."
Shane sighed. He knew she was right.
"If this is what you want to do and it means I don't lose you then ok. I can help you find somewhere" 
Emma could see the pain in his eyes. She felt heartbroken that she wouldn't be waking up next to him every day. He opened up a website and they started looking at one bed properties for her. They found a nice flat not far from the town centre that would be perfect. She sent a request to view the property. All she could do now was wait.
"How many nights have you paid for? For this room?"
"One just now. I was going to stay for a couple of nights but the girl at reception said I could pay for it one day at a time to I figured out what I was doing."
"That's how I found you. The receptionist knows Gillian and me. Gillian had told her about you so that's how she knew who you were"
"Ah.  Now it makes sense"
"I'm staying here with you tonight. Why don't we go downstairs, have some food then we can have a nice night together"
"Sounds perfect"
**********

The next morning Emma woke up to her phone ringing. It was the landlord of the flat she was interested in. He gave her details about the rent and upfront costs and arranged a viewing for that morning.
"What are the upfront costs?" Shane asked her.
"€1200. I will need to dip into my savings to pay for it if I like it. The rent is €600 so it's two months rent in advance. Definitely cheaper than London!"
They got ready. Shane had made her promise to stay with him until she found a place she liked. Soon enough they were at the flat. Emma really like it. It was light and airy. The flat was furnished so all she had to do was move her things in. The bedroom was a good size. The living room and kitchen were open plan and the bathroom was nice.
"What do you think?" She asked Shane.
"It's lovely."
She knew he didn't want her to move into her own place but it was for the best.
"I will give you both a moment" the landlord went outside.
"I know you don't want me to move out but it's for the best. We have to think of Nicole."
"But what if she still isn't happy?"
"I don't know"