Chapter 18

Miles and Gwen swung to the control room of the fuser and searched everything top to bottom to find anything.

As Miles looked through the file his eyes kept floating back to Gwen, who seemed to be doing the same. He couldn't shake his mind from her, even if he tried.

Suddenly, the fuser started. Four pillars started circling around the room. Miles searched frantically trying to find a way to shut it down, but he couldn't find anything. Miles turned to see Gwen in the same situation.

Miles saw Gwen starting to glitch. He ran to her and asked if she was fine, before he seated glitching too.

After the fit was over, Miles and Gwen walked to the viewing window. They watched in shock as a large orb started forming in the center. It was large, and it felt like they were being pulled toward it slightly. Pieces of the ground started getting ripped up and circling the orb.

It seemed strange. Almost as if the fuser had some sort gravitational pull.

The room once filled with empty white light started bursting into colors of pink and blue. Miles felt pain shoot through him as he glitched again. This thing was going to kill him.

Miles and Gwen swung through the window toward the spinning platforms. Maybe there was something in the room that could shut it down? Like the collider? They both landed on a platform neatly, and turned toward each other.

"How did this thing turn on?", Gwen raised her voice over the chaos.

"James must be here.", Miles responded.

And, sure enough, Miles saw a familiar figure on another platform not too far from he was. But James looked different. He had a different suit.

The suit has the same design as the previous one and was made of programmable matter, but this seemed more advanced, and Miles could see the green electricity sparking off of it.

Miles' spider-sense went off. He dodged, but somehow James saw it coming. Felt claws grab his neck. Miles could still breathe, but he was trapped in James grip. Miles felt himself flying through the air.

Miles felt himself hit a wall with a pain that shot through his back. Miles looked to see he was now falling, as he had hit a sideways platform. In fact, he hit it so hard that he had completely broken through it. He saw James web him and grab him once more.

This time, Miles fought back. He hit James in the side of the head hard, enough to knock him off of Miles. James going to a platform, and Miles felt himself being grabbed and thrown onto a platform.

Miles looked up to see Gwen landing on the same platform, and he realized she had caught him.

Miles nodded his head to say thanks, and Gwen nodded back.

Miles saw Gwen disappear in almost an instant, and he watched James land on top of her. Miles was about to jump in and help, James grabbed her and leapt to another platform.

Miles swung after him. He saw James claws reach up about to strike Gwen, when Miles swung in and kicked James off of Gwen. James got back to his feet quickly. Miles turned to look at Gwen. He saw she was struggling to get up. Seeing this made Miles angry. What would he do if Gwen died?

Miles felt electricity spark throughout him. His mind flashed back to the first fight that him and James had. Of course! His weakness is venom!, Miles thought, recalling his venom burst that stunned James in their first fight.

Miles pushed the energy toward his fist and felt his hand start glowing with heat. He reared up and ran toward James. He closed his eyes as he felt his fist collide with James. He felt the energy burst out of his hand in an instant.

But when Miles opened his eyes, he saw James still standing there, holding Miles' fist.

James had planned for this.

Miles felt James' fist hit him hard, and it sent Miles clear off the platform. He felt electricity running through his body, but it wasn't his. It was James'.

Everything hurt like hell.

Miles was able to roughly land on a platform, but he saw James chase after him. Miles felt claws around his neck, and a strange feeling crept throughout him. He opened his eyes to see that he was falling. But not in the fuser room, but in what looked like to be Hobie's universe. Miles was only able to catch a glimpse of it before he saw James grab him. Miles felt himself glitch again, and now he was in Pavitir's universe. Miles tried to web something, but he felt James grab his neck again and now they were back the the fuser room. It seemed like James had sent him there on accident.

Miles landed on a platform, and he saw James start running toward him. Miles was laying on the ground, and he wouldn't be able to get up in time, so he tried to web up James. Miles repeatedly shot webs at James, but he just got out of them with a large burst of energy. Miles felt claws around his neck again. He felt electricity start running through his neck, and everything faded to black.

Author's note: I hope the chapter turned out okay. I've never really been good at fight scenes. Anyway, I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for your overwhelming support. Honestly, this story wouldn't be a thing without you all. And if you want more info on the large break that I took to make this chapter, I made a post on my profile that explains all about it. Well, that's it for now. Love you guys to the moon and back, and I'll see you in the next one!