Two

Tahlani's POV

It was the day of the mission, and everything had been set. My mates, brothers, and I flew back to the Omatikaya and had sorted everything out with the pods and had also stored enough resources there to last a few months.
Ronal and the children stayed back in the clan while we stayed with Neytiri's mother, but we constantly talked over the tablet Jake had left there.

The plan was set. Everyone was ready. I was ready.

I sat staring out at the sunset as I worked on the guitar I was making. Making sure it was polished and tuned properly.

I sighed as I looked up again to the forest, my mind racing with what ifs.

"What's wrong, Ma love?"

I turned to the side as Neytiri sat next to me with a concerned expression.

"I'm just overthinking everything. With you and the others, and the children.. I can't afford to make mistakes."

She wrapped her arm around me as I cuddled into her. "Ma Lani, it will be alright. We all know the risks and are willing to do our best for our family. It's what we do as parents."

I nodded, another thought playing in my mind as well. "Neytiri?"

"Hm?"

"If.. if I don't make it -"

"You will! Don't say that!"

"But if I don't..  please take care of Kaelen. And make sure he doesn't do anything he will regret.. same goes for all of the kids and our mates.. please.."

She held me tightly, as did I. It was the only confirmation I needed from her.

We looked up as her mother came towards us. She nodded her head to us. "Tahlani, may I speak with you?"

"Of course." I smiled as I stood with the help of Neytiri before following her to the edge of the cliff.

She sat down with her legs over the edge, her face stoic as I joined her. "I have seen a sign from Eywa."

I nodded as she turned to me. "This will be your test of power. Only you can make the outcome successful or fail.. do you understand?"

"Yes, Tsahìk. I understand. I had a feeling that something would happen on this mission, but I do not want to worry everyone."

"You are strong, Tahlani. But do not think you need to do this alone. My daughter and your mates will help you when the time comes."

I nodded as she gripped my shoulder, a small smile on her lips. "And make sure to protect yourself..." She moved her hand to my stomach. " and this child."

My eyes shot wide as I looked at her. She nodded and stood, gripping my shoulder one last time before walking away. I looked down at my flat stomach and glided my hand over it, my lips quivering.

I was with child? But how have I not seen the signs?

I looked around before quickly standing and walking over to our tent, wiping my cheeks in case of any tears that may have fallen.

As I entered, Tonowari and Miles looked up at me from the firepit, smiling as I walked towards them.

"Hey, baby girl." Miles kissed my cheek as I sat next to him.

Tonowari leaned over and kissed my cheek as well. "How are you feeling, Ma love?"

"As good as I can be. I guess I'm just nervous for tonight."

They nodded in understanding as we prepared our weapons for the mission. I looked over at the gun in Miles's hands.

"I honestly thought I would never see those again."