HDEDI [13]

Natasha startled awake, in her husband’s arms after spending a week apart. It was totally his fault because she was having a bad dream of waking up alone again and Steve was leaving her. Her heart beat fast, as if it was going to explode out of her chest. She tried to calm herself down, filling her head with the thought that he was actually sleeping beside her.

She had gotten Steve back and the best part was that he looked like he felt guilty about all his shenanigans. And Natasha didn’t have to do a thing…she just used her words to cut him like a knife.

Steve held her in his arms through the night but Nat still felt unsettled inside. She couldn’t bring herself to trust him again. He had to drastically change or she will not let herself fall again. She gave him a chance and he’d hurt her. He’d betrayed her trust .

Nat closed her eyes again because it was only 5.30 AM and tried to go back to sleep. Her head rested on his chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart.

But when she woke up, he was gone. She wasn’t surprised at all. In the back of her mind, she knew he wouldn’t change within a night. Who knew, he might be long gone by now, leaving her to the empty house.

Then she heard the door open. She turned her head to see her husband, wearing only his sweatpants and carrying a breakfast tray.

“Good morning…” he greeted.

“Morning.”

Steve stood at the end of the bed, still holding the tray. His blue eyes stared at hers.

“I’m sorry I lied to you last night and I’m sorry for my behavior the past week,” he spoke up. “I will not ask for your forgiveness.”

Nat didn’t say anything back and watched as Steve sat the tray down in front of her.

“I will leave you now. Enjoy your breakfast.”

He was about to leave when Natasha spoke up. “I want to have breakfast with my husband.” She knew they would not move on from this situation if they did not talk it out. They were grown ups and they had to solve this issue if they wanted this marriage to last for the next year. (It wasn't like she was going to forgive him that easily. He had to earn it but she wanted to give him the chance to prove himself.)

Steve turned to her with a soft smile on his lips. “Of course, Love. Let me grab my plate.”

He came back with his breakfast plate and sat opposite her. Nat knew he wouldn't be the one to initiate the conversation, (because he was still feeling guilty and awkward), so she did him a favor and asked him why he’d woken up so early.

"I went on a run for half an hour and then came back to make you breakfast."

"Did you get a good workout?" she asked.

“I did have a great workout,” Steve replied. “Maybe tomorrow we can go run together in the park.”

“Sure, why not?”

Steve took a sip of his coffee and looked at her like he was expecting more questions, rather than being the one to ask. Nat pushed him by keeping her mouth shut, getting him to be the one to talk. When he couldn’t stand the awkward silence anymore, he spoke up.

“Do you have anything to do today?” he asked. “Do you want to have dinner with me?”

“I might have to go see my mom.”

“Is she okay?”

“She’s fine. I need to talk to her about working in the company. It’s time for me to get a real job.”

Steve took a deep breath. “You know you don’t need to work. I can provide you with anything you want.”

“I know but I’m not going to do nothing. It’s getting boring staying at home alone with nobody to talk to or anything to do.”