ଘSixteenଓ

Kokichi sat, fuming, in the seat next to Shuichi as they drove in a frigid silence back to his penthouse. Kokichi glared daggers at every building they passed along the street and silently cursed out the Keeper from above hoping he could bring him back to Afterlife HQ so Kokichi could be reassigned to a different person or something.

'Why couldn't I be the guardian angel for, say, a little sweet five-year old kid? Why is it some rich asshole' 

"Kokichi."

"Don't talk to me," He fired without even moving his head from staring at the window.

"I need to-"

"Shut up."

"I—"

"Just stop!" He finally snapped his head around, but words abandoned him when he saw the other's face.

He was still looking forward as he drove, so Kokichi could only see his side profile, but he could still see it. The expression.

Pure torment. 

It twisted his beautiful features into a divine mess. When his eyes flickered over to meet Kokichi's purple eyes, they were practically dull and filled with an internal war within. His features had softened to a certain rawness Kokichi never seen before and something within his heart tugged towards him.

"I'm sorry," he began slowly, as his grip on the wheel of the car tight in a white knuckled grip. "There's just this rage pent up in me, especially when it comes to my family."

Kokichi didn't know what to say- what to do, so he simply just sat there silently.

Listening. 

But he didn't continue on. Instead, they drove for another five minutes in silence as Kokichi gazed at him and he fixed his eyes on the road. A vein was stuck out on his neck and the tormented look only seemed to worsen.

By the time they pulled into the parking garage of the penthouse, he looked like a time bomb ready to explode in T-minus two seconds.

They sat in the car silently, the parking garage just as silent. 

It was like a pressure was building up inside the car, and even the pain of Kokichi's ankle seemed to stop it's biting in response to the tense surroundings.

"Shuichi," Kokichi couldn't bear the silence anymore.

Suddenly his hands flashed out grabbed Kokichi's hands.

"Whoa, what—" His purple eyes widened, stunned, as Shuichi's large hands swallowed his small pale hands.

"Just give me a minute," Shuichi breathed on Kokichi's soft pale skin as he rested his forehead on their entwined hands, soft pink lips brushing his skin ever so slightly and sending shivers down his spine.

He couldn't find it in himself to pull his hands away from the other. 

Don't get Kokichi wrong; he was still more pissed at him than a mama grizzly whose baby just got stolen away from her. But, it felt like there was something else there. Something connecting them together- and he was not referring to the obvious entwined hands. It was something deeper. Perhaps it was the guardian angel coming out. Or maybe it was something else.

Either way, he just let him rest his head on their hands. The heat of his skin on mine was burning into his, and his neatly combed hair from the morning now was mussed and concealing his face.

"I can't keep doing this, Kokichi," he finally broke the silence. His voice rough and raw.

"What...?"