ଘTwenty-oneଓ

"Oh, please Mr. Detective~ don't kill himmmmm," Kokichi giggled at Shuichi's dark expression.

"I'll try not to," was the reply. "But I can't make any promises."

Kokichi exhaled. "I heard of what happened between you two,"

"How?" Shuichi's grip on the steering wheel tightened.

"Oh you know, my evil genius" 

"You're lying" 

"And you're no fun~" 

"You have no idea how it felt to be forced by one of my closest friends- no, someone I considered my very brother, to meet my father like that," Shuichi's voice was thin like a wire ready to snap.

Kokichi didn't know what he was doing, but he just wanted to be there for him. To be with him. To support him. So, he softly put his hand on top of Shuichi's. 

He felt Shuichi stiffen a little at his touch, before relaxing and letting out a soft gust of breath.

He finally pulled in front of a warmly lit coffee shop. It was 7:28 PM and the sky was a deep, indigo color as the last rays of the sun were fading. "Climb over to my seat and get out my door so no one else thinks my car is possessed," he told Kokichi. 

"You should be glad an angel like me possesses you," Kokichi chuckled a little, recalling Keebo's shocked face. 

"What's so funny?" Shuichi watched Kokichi with slight amusement.

"Keebo," Kokichi exhaled softly. "He's so cute and so stupid,"

Shuichi's amusement dissipated, giving way to an emotion Kokichi couldn't quite place. In fact, that familiar pulse when he was upset was back again. "Don't talk about him like that," he said with a slightly cutting edge. "He's not for you."

That stung a little.

Shuichi read the expression that appeared but disappeared just as fast.  Shuichi's face softened ever so slightly. "I just don't want you with other..." he cut himself off quickly, leaving Kokichi even more puzzled and pissed off than ever before.

"What?" He crossed his arms.

He held Kokichi's purple gaze for a few moments before tearing his eyes away. "Nothing, let's just go," he mumbled and fumbled for the door, managing to open it on his fourth attempt and exit out of the car.

Kokichi pursed his lips a tiny bit.

'He didn't want me with other what?' 

Kokichi ungracefully scrambled over the seat as Shuichi waited impatiently at the driver door, pretending to be on his phone for anyone who might be wondering why he was standing outside the driver's seat with the door open by himself.

Kokichi finally managed to stumble out, causing Shuichi to carelessly close the door. 

"Shuichi!"

The golden eyes dragged up from his phone screen with the speed of a snail at the call. It was Rantaro, striding towards them with his green hair slightly parted,  holding his own phone in hand.

Kokichi thought his jaw hit the concrete at the sight of Rantaro's phone case. "What the actual fucking twinkling tootsies is that fuckin phone case?" Kokichi managed to get past his gaping mouth.

Rantaro glanced down, looking slightly offended at the liar's remark. It took Kokichi a few seconds to remember he could indeed hear and see him. "What's wrong with it?"